This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8712 / 51°52'16"N
Longitude: -2.4178 / 2°25'4"W
OS Eastings: 371330
OS Northings: 219259
OS Grid: SO713192
Mapcode National: GBR FZ.S8VX
Mapcode Global: VH948.17ND
Entry Name: Woodend Farm
Listing Date: 4 July 1985
Last Amended: 15 May 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299165
English Heritage Legacy ID: 354116
Location: Huntley, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Huntley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Huntley St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 71 NW
Wood end Farm
Farmstead: 1858, for Edmund Probyn (datestone). Brick, English
bond, with stone plinth to 2 external facades; cogged eaves and
verge, with short return at foot of gables. Stone sills to all
windows, most openings with segmental heads, brick-on-end
voussoirs, chamfered arrises. Slate roofs. Large E-plan, single
storey save part of barn range. Approach, east side low wing with
higher gable on right to barn, 2-doored openings, one above other,
carved stone datestone in gable. North facade, on right: low,
sliding double-doors to barn, followed by two narrow, flat-headed
windows, similar doors with half-dormer over containing window to
loft: shuttered opening to right below further dormer, followed
two further windows and low, double doors with stone hinge blocks,
serving way through to yard. Hay barn in north-east corner,
adjoining 2-storey section containing feed preparation and granary,
with 2 timber stairs. In east wing stables and trap-house
originally, one brick trough surviving. Central wing originally a
wide, double cowhouse, 8 bays in all, with iron trusses, an early
example in farm buildings. The end bay was for feed preparation,
with chimney, rooflight and prominent octagonal louvred ventilator
with iron weather vane. West courtyard single storey stables on
north, lit only by rooflights: two elliptical-headed openings in
corner, 4 semi-circular headed adjoining, opening originally partly
closed by wall at foot, with low door: one unaltered. Roof
trusses generally king-post. An imposing and well-planned mid C19
Listing NGR: SO7134019276
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
A mid-C19 farmstead by J&J Girdwood of London for Edmund Probyn.
A FARMSTEAD of 1858 date by J&J Girdwood of London for Edmund Probyn.
MATERIALS: of red brick laid in English bond, with stone plinths to the two external facades. Attached are low limestone walls to the yard and farmhouse garden, extending to a plinth to a modern shed in the north east corner. The principal farm buildings have cogged eaves and verges, with short returns at the foot of the gables. There are stone cills to the windows, and most openings have segmental heads, brick-on-end voussoirs and chamfered arrises. The roofs are covered in slate.
PLAN: a large E-plan, single-storey except for part of the barn range. Across the west entrance to the yard is a single-storey building, possibly a cartshed.
DESCRIPTION: the main (east) approach has a yard entrance with a cartshed gable to the left and a single-storey stable block flank to the right extending north to a higher gable of the attached hay barn. The stable flank has a central door positioned above the rubble stone plinth and small ventilation openings to the right. The barn gable end has a door opening to two floors, one above other, the upper with a stone cill. There is a carved stone datestone in the gable: EP 1858. There are five tie-ends bolted to the elevation.
The N elevation has sliding double-doors to the barn to the left, and to its right two narrow, flat-headed windows and then further doors and a window. Above the right bays is a mid-height shuttered door and above that are two dormers with flat head openings and stone cills. The far-right bay with another window and double doors with stone hinge blocks is enclosed in an attached modern Dutch barn.
The E yard has stable openings to the E wing, one sealed, and a central set of double doors. The S elevation of the barn has a similar fenestration to its N elevation. The hay barn in NE corner has had the threshing floor removed. The adjoining two-storey section contains a feed preparation area and granary with a timber stair. In the E wing stables (a trap-house originally), there are two brick troughs surviving, one relatively altered.
The eight-bay central wing was originally a wide, double cow house. It has altered openings to both yards. The N-end bay was for feed preparation, with chimney, roof light and prominent octagonal louvered ventilator with iron weather vane. The S end of the central wing extends into the W yard and has altered openings.
The W yard has single-storey stables to the N, lit only by roof lights. There are two elliptical-headed openings in corner, with four semi-circular headed openings adjoining. The openings were originally partly closed by the floor of the wall with a low door. One is unaltered.
In the E-plan farmstead, roof trusses generally timber king-posts, although the central wing has iron trusses, an early example in farm buildings
Facing the E yard in the SE corner the former cart shed has wide cambered openings to left and right. The central arch has been widened and strengthened with concrete block work, and is therefore of lesser interest than the E-plan buildings. There are small inserted openings in the S wall and the roof is of king-post construction.
The adjacent farmhouse*, while in part of C17 origin, is not of special interest although its red brick elevations and its scale and appearance as a farmhouse of C19 character complement the listed farmstead. The other buildings on the site are of C20 or C21 date* and are not of special interest.
* Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that these aforementioned features are not of special architectural or historic interest.
On the edge of the Forest of Dean, the village of Huntley was historically surrounded by woods and commons, with plantations and farms interspersed with cottages. By the early C18 Woodend Farm was the largest farm in the manor. Its farmhouse had been built by the C17 and a mill pond is recorded as being filled and planted with a woodland nursery by 1732. The farmhouse was extended and remodelled in brick in the early C19, and is shown on the tithe map of 1838, rectangular on plan with what appear to be a mill wheel on the north-east elevation by a pond. Farm buildings are shown to the south, west and north-west. The tithe apportionment lists Reverend John Probyn as owner and Joseph Drinkwater as occupier. The Probyns of Newland had been buying land in Huntley since the late C17, and Sir Edmund Probyn (1678-1742) was Lord of the Manor in Huntley from the mid-1720s. His descendant, also Edmund Probyn, became lord of Huntley in 1855 and in 1858 engaged J&J Girdwood of London to re-design Woodend Farm to be the largest planned farmstead on his estate. The farmhouse was also enlarged and remodelled at this time. The Probyn estate was sold to the Ackers family of Prinknash Park in 1884, and some of the farmhouse features, such as the dormers and window fittings, may date from this period.
The farm served as a riding school in the late C20 and early C21. An arena was built to the west of the farmhouse in 1979 and the house served as offices and student accommodation. There are other late-C20 agricultural structures on the site. In 2016 the house is being restored to a single dwelling house and the farm buildings are no longer in use.
Woodend Farmstead, Huntley, Gloucestershire, a farmstead of 1858, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: the buildings have an articulate ‘estate-style’ with handsome and well-crafted features in quality materials, laid out confidently in a practical and eye-catching arrangement;
* Interior: the general layout of buildings and some internal fittings survive and add to the interest of this farmstead;
* Intactness: the buildings remain largely intact, albeit modified in some areas in accordance with changing agricultural methods;
* Regional diversity: as an example of a C19 architect-designed farmstead, built in red brick.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings