This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5298 / 51°31'47"N
Longitude: -1.7041 / 1°42'14"W
OS Eastings: 420624
OS Northings: 181256
OS Grid: SU206812
Mapcode National: GBR 4VY.205
Mapcode Global: VHC13.DTZ3
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 26 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299741
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318503
Location: Liddington, Swindon, SN4
Civil Parish: Liddington
Built-Up Area: Liddington
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Lyddington and Wanborough
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
Church of All Saints
Three-bay nave with C13 north aisle little altered. South porch added C19.
Lower 2-bay early English chancel and short 3-stage crenellated Perpendicular
tower. The windows of the chancel and north aisle are early English and decorated,
the rest Perpendicular. Two windows on south side, and the north-west window,
have Decorated tracery of two lights and cusped trefoil. East window a restored
geometrical window of three lights but improbable tracery. Small, pointed priest's
door to south.
East wall of former south aisle (assuming there was one) has culus and small
foiled window above level of chancel eaves. Vestry to north.
All this heavily restored 1880s by C. E. Ponting.
INTERIOR: north-west window has foiled rear arch. North wall has two segment
pointed tomb recesses with foiled inner orders and bell caps; slabs with cross
and heart said to mark graves of two Abbesses of Shaftesbury (who presented
to the prebendal living here).
Circa 1200 Norman font-bowl has bead and zig-zag dressings to rim. Wooden
screen, C19 in Perpendicular style. Nave roof has cusped braces to collars
and cusped wind braces, see also in porch - restoration.
Lychgate with stone tile roof as war memorial.
Listing NGR: SU2061981256
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 December 2016.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings