This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5314 / 51°31'53"N
Longitude: -1.7031 / 1°42'11"W
OS Eastings: 420688
OS Northings: 181434
OS Grid: SU206814
Mapcode National: GBR 4VR.VLY
Mapcode Global: VHC13.FRGW
Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk
Listing Date: 1 November 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1395515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 506809
Location: Liddington, Swindon, SN4
Civil Parish: Liddington
Built-Up Area: Liddington
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Lyddington and Wanborough
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
984/0/10026 THE STREET
01-NOV-10 K6 TELEPHONE KIOSK
K6 telephone kiosk
DESCRIPTION: The K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in the door and sides and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It has modernised internal equipment. It appears to be in good condition (2009), and its windows and display signs are intact.
This telephone kiosk is situated adjacent to the village post office, at the centre of the village. Behind the post office, approximately 20m to the south of the kiosk, stands 16 The Street (Grade II). To the east of this building, approximately 25m from the kiosk, stands 24 The Street, also listed at Grade II.
HISTORY: The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The K6 telephone kiosk in Liddington, Wiltshire, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It forms a strong visual relationship with two listed buildings
* It is a representative example within a village setting of this important C20 industrial design
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings