This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1963 / 51°11'46"N
Longitude: 0.9087 / 0°54'31"E
OS Eastings: 603320
OS Northings: 148145
OS Grid: TR033481
Mapcode National: GBR SXH.VZK
Mapcode Global: VHKKG.P6Q7
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 27 November 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299904
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181366
Location: Boughton Aluph, Ashford, Kent, TN25
Civil Parish: Boughton Aluph
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 04 NW BOUGHTON ALUPH CHURCH LANE
5/6 Church Of All Saints
Parish Church. C13 chancel and chapel, otherwise C14 with C15 east
windows. C17 porches. Restored in 1878. Flint and rubble, with rubble
and ashlar dressings, and brick porches and buttresses. Nave, aisles,
transepts, chancel, north-east chapel, crossing tower with prominent 2
stage stair turret, north and south porchs. The west and north transept
windows are of same C14 curvilinear design, as was the now blocked south
transept window, of 4 lights with cinquefoil over. North aisle with 2 C19
3 light windows in brick, south aisle with 2 C19 3 light windows in curvilinear
style, all in plain chamfered surrounds. North chapel with 2 lancets
to west, and 2 paired lancets with quatrefoils over to east, all C13.
Chancel with 1 C15 three light Perpendicular window and 1 C14 two light
curvilinear window on south wall. Chancel east window is 5 light C15
Perp., chapel east window 4 light C15 Perp. West door C18 plank in C14
roll-moulded surround between 2 large offset buttresses. C17 brick
porches, that on north with rendered moulded arched opening, that on south
with brick cornice and parapet gable, with large brick chimney to east.
North chapel with plain ½ sunk doorway between 2 west lancets. Transept
and aisles on weathered plinth, parapet roof, and several large offset
buttresses repaired in brick, large brick flying buttress to south-east
corner of chancel. Tower and turret have irregular single C14 lights.
Interior- Nave, aisles, transepts and crossing: one build, 1329 - 61 on
heraldic evidence. 4 bay nave arcade, octagonal piers on moulded
bases, double chamfered arches. Crossing piers are continuation of
nave arcade, only slightly more massive, with crossing arches of larger
span. All of chalk blocks. All windows and doors possess original
reveals with angular 4 centred arches over west and north door. North
door C17 plank with door width plain metal hinges. South door
plastered over. North chapel: 4 windows and door in north wall all of
same C13 date, with plain chamfered reveals dying into plain jambs. C13
arcade to chancel of 3 squat round piers, various moulded and undercut
capitals and 'water-holding' bases, but with same double-chamfered
arches as nave. Chancel: chancel arch as nave and transept crossing
arches. On chancel south wall 2 blocked window openings, the westernmost
blocked by the C14 stair turret, the easterly cut through by C14 curvilinear
window. Both chancel and chapel at lower level than transepts and crossing,
with step down to east.
Fittings. Holy water stoup by north door. C13 sedile in chancel, hollow-
chamfered and undercut surround, attached shafts of uneven height in
jambs, drip-mould over. Piscina to east with C14 leaf crockets over
C13 trefoil. Small plain aumbrey cut by crockets over the piscina.
Piscinas also in the north chapel and south transept this with ogee-head.
C15 bracket carried on female head in chancel, and C15 demi-angel bracket
in chapel. North transept east wall with C15 wall painting of the Trinity,
with 2 brackets once supporting a C17 momument. C14 wooden screen in
north chapel, with solid lower panels, and 8 light traceried screens either
side of 4 light double door,roll moulded and hollow chamfered beam on top.
C17 altar rails in chancel. Fragments of C14 glass in chancel east window,
coronation of the Virgin, representations of Edward III and Eleanor,
C14 heraldry in north transept window, and various fragments in west window.
Cont. Church of All Saints
Perpendicular C15 octagonal font. Monuments in north, or "Moyle" chapel.
To Amye Clerk (nee Moyle), d.1631. Recumbent shrouded figure, children
at head and feet, below a coffered pediment on corinthian paired capitals
in white marble on black field. Possibly by Edward Marshall.(B.O.E.
Kent II, 96). Black tablet on floor, badly damaged when removed
from north transept, to Captain Robert Moyle d. 1639, moulded arch
surround carved with military trophies. On chapel south pier, Sir Robert
Moyle, d. 1661, wall tablet, black and white marble, on consoles with
scrolls and broken pediment over containing achievement. Coat of arms
in lozenge, C17, on north chapel north wall (B.O.E. Kent II 149).
Listing NGR: TR0327948214
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings