This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2637 / 51°15'49"N
Longitude: -1.7998 / 1°47'59"W
OS Eastings: 414061
OS Northings: 151633
OS Grid: SU140516
Mapcode National: GBR 4YX.MSV
Mapcode Global: VHB4Y.RHCM
Plus Code: 9C3W7672+F3
Entry Name: Church of All Saints and St Margaret
Listing Date: 27 May 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300358
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310974
ID on this website: 101300358
Location: All Saints' Church, Enford, Wiltshire, SN9
Civil Parish: Enford
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Enford All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
Tagged with: Church building
ENFORD ENFORD HILL
SU 15 SW (north side)
5/22 Church of All Saints and
Anglican parish church. C12 and probably earlier, C13, C14, C15
and C18, restored 1825-30 by Benoni White of Devizes and 1892-3 by
C.E. Ponting. Banded flint and limestone, slate and lead roofs.
Tower of ashlar. Nave with aisles, south porch, chancel and west
tower. Nave clerestory and south aisle have 2-light cusped windows
with square heads. North aisle, early C14, with independently
pitched roof and quatrefoiled tracery, 3-light to east window. C15
tower of 3 stages with stair tower in south west corner rising
above crenellated parapet. The spire fell in 1817. Three-light
west window and door below. South porch rebuilt after 1817 with
horizontal parapet. The inner door early C13 with pointed arch on
nook shafts having plain trumpet capitals. Inverted stoup on right
of door. Octagonal sacristry on north side of chancel.
Interior: Nave walls probably Anglo-Saxon (77cm thick) pierced
with C12 round arches on nook shafted piers, the arches with roll
mouldings to the arrises. Scalloped capitals. Earlier tall shaft
built in to east respond of south arcade. Clerestory on south side
only. Four bay flat panelled roof of 1892-3. Chancel arch late
C12-early C13; pointed arch on 2 orders of columns with varied
scalloped capitals. Chancel, late C13, with bold and plain wall
arcade on north side only; tall pointed arches of alternating
heights, all with hollow chamfer. Shouldered arch to sacristry and
recessed door in adjacent arch. Trefoiled piscina at east end.
South side rebuilt in brick and reroofed in 1779; 4 bays with
shallow pitched king post trusses. Chamfered stone altar top on
wooden base. Sacristry has lancets alternating with cupboards and
a conical roof. Eleven encaustic tiles set into walls. North
Aisle wider than nave and extended to west to clasp tower. Raised
east end with fine piscina enriched with trail-linked ball
flowers, and open at rear to nave choir through a pierced stone
grille. Aumbry on north side. Flat plaster ceiling of 1858.
South Aisle C15 replacing one of C12, also with plaster ceiling.
Tower base raised over 3 steps, with tall arches of 2 chamfered
orders on round shafts. Fittings: Font, under tower, C15 with
simply carved symbols. C17 oak cover with carved brackets towards
centre baluster. Pulpit of 1891. Hour glass holder wall bracket.
Pews are early C19, plain green painted panelling. Organ by G.
Osmond of Taunton. Furniture: in chancel, interesting double
chest seat of early C17. Monuments: in chancel: south wall,
Tablet, C18 white marble on slate, by T. King of Bath, scroll over
tablet with attic over cornice bearing arms and flaming beacons.
Crest a draped urn, to Abraham Pooke of Longstreet, died 1767, and
family. Tablet, later C18, white marble with yellow inlay around
panels and veined marble pyramid over, to Henry and Mary Hunt, died
1773 and 1746. In nave: Tablet, C19, white marble on black,
draped inscription to Martha Stagg of Netheravon, died 1853, and
husband. South Aisle: Tablet, C18, limestone and slate, with
apron and crest, to Ann Burnet died 1788. Tablet, oval inscription
on Carrara marble, to Hezekiah Munday of Coombe, died 1787. Also
in nave, two hatchments, to John Grove of Chisenbury, died 1699,
and Hugh Grove, died 1765. Royal Arms in relief over chancel arch,
dated 1831 and restored 1970. In Sacristry, C19 brass to Hugh
Grove who restored the church in 1655. In the North Aisle, reset
in window, a small kneeling figure of Jennifer Baskerville, died
1615, and marble inscription.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire; Church Guide.)
Listing NGR: SU1405951627
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings