History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

68, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Wilburton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3527 / 52°21'9"N

Longitude: 0.174 / 0°10'26"E

OS Eastings: 548164

OS Northings: 274961

OS Grid: TL481749

Mapcode National: GBR M6Y.GTQ

Mapcode Global: VHHJJ.Y4V7

Entry Name: 68, High Street

Listing Date: 19 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1302336

English Heritage Legacy ID: 49512

Location: Wilburton, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Wilburton

Built-Up Area: Wilburton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Wilburton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Haddenham

Listing Text

WILBURTON HIGH STREET
TL 4874 (North Side)

28/44 No. 68

GV II

Cottage formerly the Old Chequers PH. 1662, extended by one bay at east end
C18. Red brick, Flemish bond and plain tiled steeply pitched roof with square
red brick stack having a string course and later gault brick to the upper
courses. At east end, a gault brick stack. Single range plan originally of
two bays. One storey and attic. Three small gable dormers with wood
casements, C19-C20. Three ground floor small pane modern casements in
enlarged openings on either side of lobby entry doorway. There is a straight
joint in the brickwork between the bay at the east end and the main range.
The outshut is probably C18, and has had the roof raised. In the garden is a
late C17 red brick barn, English bond, with pantiled roof. Interior: Back to
back inglenook hearths have been rebuilt in the rear wall. Part of the
chimney brickwork has been removed and a staircase inserted from the north
side. Early C18 doorway off the lobby entry has a half glazed door of six
glazed lights with ovolo glazing bars and retaining original glass to one pane
with scratchings of 1766, 1846 and 1909. Four raised and fielded panels to
the lower stage. The other doorway from the lobby entry has late C17 door of
three rebated vertical planks with mouldings at the rebate and on the room
side, raised and fielded panels. There are other similar doors of three
vertical planks with mouldings at the rebates and strap hinges terminating in
fleur-de-lys. One door at first floor has original architrave with cyma
moulding. Two first floor chambers have original hearths. One is exposed and
has red brickwork, now painted and a wood lintel with ogee stop chamfer. Side
purlin roof has chamfered main rafters suggesting that the ceiling at first
floor is an insertion.


Listing NGR: TL4816474961

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II 2, Church Lane
    Wilburton, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6
  • II Warren House
    Wilburton, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6
  • II 38, High Street
    Wilburton, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6
  • II Bellgables
    Wilburton, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6
  • II Post Office
    Wilburton, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6
  • I Church of St Peter
    Wilburton, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6
  • II* The Rectory
    Wilburton, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6
  • II Eastleigh
    Wilburton, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.