This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8972 / 50°53'49"N
Longitude: -1.3969 / 1°23'48"W
OS Eastings: 442509
OS Northings: 111033
OS Grid: SU425110
Mapcode National: GBR RRP.SD
Mapcode Global: FRA 76YQ.RMQ
Entry Name: South Western House
Listing Date: 11 July 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302385
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135754
Location: Southampton, SO14
County: City of Southampton
Electoral Ward/Division: Bargate
Built-Up Area: Southampton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Southampton City Centre St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1. CANUTE ROAD
South Western House
SU 4211 4/62 11.7.80
Completed in 1872. Architect John Norton. This was originally the South
Western Hotel, promoted by the Londn and South Western Railway for the accommodation
of liner passengers. French Renaissance building on a corner site with long
frontage to Canute Road and shorter frontage to Terminus Terrace. Four main
storeys and 2 attic storeys, built of red brick with stuccoed dressings and
rusticated ground floor. Slated high mansard roof with raised 2 storey centre.
Eleven windows to Terminus Road elevation, 16 windows to Canute Road elevation.
Corinthian pilasters between first and second floors and modillion cornice
above this. The first, third and attic storey windows have cambered heads.
Second floor windows have flat arches. Second floor attic windows are oculi.
The ground floor windows are round-headed. The end 7 bays in the Canute Road
elevation have an extra main storey and a curved pediment containing a medallion
with portrait of Queen Victoria, winged figures and emblematic pieces suggesting
railways and the sea. The entrance foyer and hall have marble columns and
wall panelling, high moulded ceiling and 4 oil paintings, elliptical in shape
over the door openings.
Listing NGR: SU4251611051
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings