This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9609 / 51°57'39"N
Longitude: -2.3181 / 2°19'5"W
OS Eastings: 378237
OS Northings: 229202
OS Grid: SO782292
Mapcode National: GBR 0HL.2R5
Mapcode Global: VH93Q.RZV5
Entry Name: Staunton Court
Listing Date: 2 October 1954
Last Amended: 17 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302677
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126023
Location: Staunton, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Staunton
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Staunton St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
STAUNTON LEDBURY ROAD
SO 7829-7929 (south side)
13/204 Staunton Court (formerly listed as
part of Court Farmhouse with barn
35 yards to south, and dovecote)
Farmhouse. C16, C17, C18, C19, restored c1880 by F.W.Waller.
Left wing and hall facing church English garden wall bond on stone
plinth; left single-storey room English bond brickwork: right
wing stone base to courtyard, rendered panels between timber
framing, said to be backed brickwork, above: brick-nogged timber
framing to leanto wing in front: tiled roofs. Irregular 'U'
plan, facing church: cross wing 1½ storeys, left 2, with single-
storey extensions, right wing 2½ storeys. Courtyard open towards
church, up 4 stone steps, bounded to front by stone wall. Behind,
on right single-storey timber-framed lean-to to end of wing,
extends round right corner. Four-pane window right, 6-pane sash
left. Above, storey-height studs, continued below lm above main
horizontal timber at floor level to eaves. Three-light mullion
and transom first floor, braces corner post to main timber over,
decorative bracing above window. Hipped roof, hipped dormer with
2-light casement. Large external brick chimney on right return.
Left return boarded door to leanto; 4-light mullion and transom in
stone ground floor. Timber framing above as on end: 2 long
braces to sill from intermediate post: angle brace corner post to
wallplate. Two-light mullion and transom window, herringbone
bracing above: 2-light casement in hipped dormer. End block: on
right half-glazed C20 lobby with flat roof, against lean-to half-
glazed lobby, tiled roof, herringbone nogging to timber-framing
below: wide verge on brackets. To left, wall of hall, 4-light
mullion and transom window, cambered brick arch; glazed roof to
open leanto verandah over. Above, 3 hipped dormers (one on left
behind further wing); each with 2-light casement. Brick stack
from large external chimney on far side hall. To left single-
storey wing, external chimney on right return gable. Front paired
8-pane sashes, timber hood over with 2 elongated diamonds (this,
hall wall and lobby C19). To left slightly higher eaves to C18
left wing of U, right return 3-light mullion and transom at first
floor, boarded door up one stone step from quarter landing, up
further 7 stone steps from courtyard. Board on timber corbels
over. Dentil eaves, hipped roof. Yard wall sets out from corner
of wing: end wall boarded door to ground floor, flat stone lintel.
Set back on left projecting former cider house, boarded door on
right return under flat, brick-on-edge lintel. Window to left
with 2 boarded shutters: dentil eaves. Two-light window in end
Interior: hall, large fireplace with elliptical head, 1670 cast-
iron fireback; small ovolo to arrisses ceiling beams. Room on
right at rear panelled, 5 sections high. Wide chamfer to beams
over front room, right wing: hand-operated water pump with fly-
wheel in leanto. Main door from hall to rear, garden porch has
ovolo and cavetto moulding to surround. Outer porch doorway
moulded stone jamb, capitals, semi-circular head with hoodmould and
coat of arms over. Right wing restored by F.W.Waller. Forms
group with Church of St. James and farmbuildings (q.v.).
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970;
D4183 1/5 at C.R.O.; V.C.H. Worcestershire, Vol.IV, 1924.)
Listing NGR: SO7823729202
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings