This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4578 / 51°27'27"N
Longitude: -0.9994 / 0°59'57"W
OS Eastings: 469618
OS Northings: 173673
OS Grid: SU696736
Mapcode National: GBR QDD.NW
Mapcode Global: VHDWS.MMJB
Plus Code: 9C3XF252+47
Entry Name: West Branch Library
Listing Date: 14 December 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302878
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39111
Location: Reading, RG30
Electoral Ward/Division: Battle
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: St Mark and All Saints, Reading
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 67 SE
Oxford Road (north side)
West Branch Library
1907 designed by F.W. Albury. A good example in "Wren-naissance" style. One 1/2 storeys. Red brick with Bath stone ashlar dressings, moulded plinth, modillion cornice and cope to parapet. Three bays each side or fabled porch break with paired glazing bar casement windows flanked by paired pilasters. Hipped tiled roof with two tripartite segmental dormers behind parapet. Wooden cupola with Doric peristyle and lead dome. Segmental headed entrance with concave surround. Gable over has three busts - Milton, Shakespeare and (possibly) Darwin.
Stone commemorative tablets on each side laid by Edward Jackson (mayor) and Dr Jameson Hurry (local antiquary) 16.x.1907. Lobby has marble commemorative plaques naming architect, donor Andrew Carnegie, G W Palmer (who opened it) and builders (T H Kingerlee and Sons).
Interior: top lit central hall with stained glass (The Abbey, Reading and University badges). Three rooms, side rooms have plaster barrel vault, and modillion cornice and dormers in ceiling. Glazed screen fronts desk to north room.
Listing NGR: SU6961873673
Other nearby listed buildings