This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0527 / 51°3'9"N
Longitude: -1.1711 / 1°10'16"W
OS Eastings: 458193
OS Northings: 128475
OS Grid: SU581284
Mapcode National: GBR 97K.YJC
Mapcode Global: FRA 86FB.HLL
Plus Code: 9C3W3R3H+3H
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303010
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145389
Location: Cheriton, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24
Civil Parish: Cheriton
Built-Up Area: Cheriton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Cheriton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 5828 CHERITON B3046
11/13 CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
Parish Church. C13, C15 additions, repaired after fire 1744, restored C19 and C20.
Rubble flint with stone and C18 brick dressings, old plain tile roof. Built on
mound and chancel built above steep slope, on crypt. C13 church of cancel, nave
with N and S aisles with outshot roof, with chancel extended C15, tower, porch and
aisle walls rebuilt 1744. Chancel's added bay has diagonal buttresses and E buttress
to crypt, with brick buttress on NE corner. Restored C15 4-light square headed
E window, and side walls a 2-light transomed window, with labels with head stops,
and cinquefoiled lights except in S window below transom are shouldered heads.
Original chancel has pointed S door, single lancet beside it and on both walls a
reworked C13 2-light lancet. In NW corner C19 chimney and brick boilerhouse.
W ends of aisles have C15 squareheaded 2-light windows. Aisles have 2 early C20
3-light Tudor style with labels with dated stops and heraldic stained glass.
Between on S gabled porch with C18 brick sides but reset stone end with buttresses
C13 arch with moulded capitals and either side a triangular panel of elaborately
carved C14 stonework. N door opposite in C18 segmental headed opening, blocked
inside. W aisle ends have C18 2-light timber leaded windows. C18 tower on brick
plinth has C18 S door and on W C18 2-light timber window; with single light above
surrounded by 4 wrought iron tie plates and large rectangular bell openings. Inside
chancel C19 rear arches to all windows except SW lancet and door. To E of door,
C13 trefoiled piscina with shelf. On S wall cartouche 1785 to Anne Ferrers, 1st
wife and tablets 1825 to Edmund Ferrers and 2nd wife and 1845 to Elisa Ann Hunt.
Under altar rare survival of C14 Flemish tiles. Pointed C13 chancel arch of 2
chamfered orders with nook shafts. Nave has C13, but recut 3 bay arcades with
round piers on bases with spurs and above abaci with arches of 2 chamfered orders
dying into vertical cylinders. Tower arch similar but with string at springing
and walled up with small C18 door inserted. S door C18 segmental headed and N door
walled up with reused stones stones included one inscribed with a medieval style
cross. Stone pulpit and font and other furnishings all C19. VCH; 1908; Vol 3;
p313. 'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p 164.
Listing NGR: SP6136627611
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings