This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1651 / 55°9'54"N
Longitude: -1.6854 / 1°41'7"W
OS Eastings: 420140
OS Northings: 585692
OS Grid: NZ201856
Mapcode National: GBR J8NQ.X7
Mapcode Global: WHC2R.2FPP
Entry Name: The Court House
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303244
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238702
Location: Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Morpeth
Built-Up Area: Morpeth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Morpeth
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
MORPETH CASTLE BANK
The Court House
Former courthouse, and gateway to former gaol; now restaurant and apartments.
1822 by John Dobson. Ashlar. Castellated Gothic style. Massive square front
block with square side towers and 8-sided apsidal back. 3 storeys, 3 bays.
Central Tudor-arched carriage entry in 2-storey pointed-arched recess with
triple-chamfered arch; 2-light Decorated window on 1st floor and very large
Civic crest on second floor. Canted outer bays have large broached buttresses
at the corners. Small diamond-paned windows with shouldered lintels on 1st
floor and large mullioned-and-transomed crosses with shouldered lintels on 2nd
floor. Battlemented parapet on large close-set triple-stop corbels.
Vaulted passageway through building has one bay of rib vault then pointed
tunnel vault with transverse ribs.
Interior: Gothic, stone imperial stair with plaster lierne vault. Former
courtroom, now bar and restaurant, has elaborate Tudor-Gothic ceiling divided
into 8 large triangles with large moulded principal ribs on arched braces; each
triangle sub-divided by smaller ribs and cross ribs and with tracery at the
apex. 8-sided, canted stone screen with 8 pointed-arched doorways, and pierced
parapet with Tudor-rose panels.
Listing NGR: NZ2013585698
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings