This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7314 / 51°43'53"N
Longitude: -2.0869 / 2°5'12"W
OS Eastings: 394097
OS Northings: 203638
OS Grid: SO940036
Mapcode National: GBR 2P8.F6N
Mapcode Global: VH950.SR31
Plus Code: 9C3VPWJ7+H7
Entry Name: Daneway House
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303397
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132587
Location: Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Oakridge St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 90 SW BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT DANEWAY
7/31 Daneway House
Detached manor house. Mid-late C14; c1620 and c1717 additions.
Random rubble and coursed thin-bedded rubble limestone; ashlar
chimneys; stone slate roof. Medieval hall runs east-west with
later inserted floor; four-storey with attic tower at south east
corner; 2-storey wing to south west corner, both additions forming
small court. West side: central parapet gable end of hall with 3
buttresses; 4 leaded timber casements with rendered lintels.
Finely carved C20 inscription on left buttress. Lower 2-storey
service wing running to left is of 2 builds, first section
incorporating small ogee-headed lancet to upper floor, possibly re-
used from oratory. Two 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned
casements with hoodmoulds to side of wing running to right; large
timber mullioned and transomed window above with leaded casements.
South front: 2 additions to side of hall with court between. The
High Building of c1620 is an unusually tall 4-storey cross-gabled
tower with moulded parapet gable to each face. Single-window
fenestration to 3 sides, mainly to south and east faces; 2 + 2-
light to both middle floors; 3-light to upper floor on south and
east sides, 2-light to west side; single-light to attic, all ovolo
mullioned with hoodmoulds, diagonal lead latticed casements.
Relieving arch over lower of 2 main windows on south face; two 2-
light casements under combining hoodmould to ground floor below.
Doorway on west side of High Building approached up stone steps and
doorway in court screen wall to left with coped top are identical:
moulded and round arched with imposts, keystone and rusticated
arch. Hoodmould over each with diamond shapes in spandrels. Two
parapet gables with cross-roll saddles to projecting wing to left,
right gable with deep stone lintel with slightly pointed underside
to wide doorway below with plank door. Three-light ovolo moulded
casement with hoodmould to upper floor; sundial above dated 1717.
Three-light lower and 2-light upper floor casements below left
gable. East side: High Building to left has right of centre
projecting parapet gabled stair turret with 2 single-light
casements having hoodmoulds. Gabled addition to end of hall range
to right has 2-light casement; plain cap to chimney above. North
side: full length of C14 hall visible. Ogee arched doorway to
cross-passage with very small single-light to left. Plain cavetto
cap to central ridge mounted chimney. Upper floor level doorway
with timber lintel and plank door in small gable on east side of
wing projecting forward to right; eaves-mounted chimney with
moulded cap. Small reset trefoil window immediately below eaves to
Interior: south entrance hall has ogee arched doorway in side wall
formerly leading to oratory. Chamfered pointed arched doorway at
south end of hall cross-passage. Main room in hall has cambered
moulded beam; central chimney stack probably inserted late C16.
Dividing 2 east bays of hall roof is arched braced collar truss;
truss to west side of chimney is simpler with vertical studding
infill. Pointed arched doorway to room above entrance hall with
ancient plank door. Rooms in High Building have Jacobean plaster
ceilings. Main chamber, called Trout Room because of plastered
fish above moulded fireplace with low pointed arch, has fleurs-de-
lys alternating with rosettes in frieze. Porch Room above has
more elaborate plaster ceiling and panelled timber porch lobby.
Similar plasterwork to ceiling and beams in upper floor room.
Built as manor house of the Clifford family, was later owned by
John Hancox who added the notable High Building. House was lent by
Lord Bathurst to Ernest Gimson and the Barnsley brothers after
their move from Pinbury Park c1900. It formed a suitable display
case for their traditionally designed furniture. In later C20 was
home of architect Oliver Hill. Extremely picturesque in
composition but important as illustration of transition from
medieval hall to yeoman's country house.
(Illustrated in two Country Life articles, 6th March 1909 and 4th
January 1952; M. Comino, Gimson and the Barnsleys, 1980; N.M.
Herbert, 'Bisley' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 4-40; W.R. Lethaby
et al., Ernest Gimson - His Life and Work, 1924; and D. Verey,
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO9409703638
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings