This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.303 / 55°18'10"N
Longitude: -1.7953 / 1°47'43"W
OS Eastings: 413094
OS Northings: 601008
OS Grid: NU130010
Mapcode National: GBR H7X3.3V
Mapcode Global: WHC1X.DZB1
Plus Code: 9C7W8633+6V
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 23 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303513
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236830
Location: Longframlington, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Longframlington
Built-Up Area: Longframlington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Longframlington with Brinkburn
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
LONGFRAMLINGTON ROTHBURY ROAD
NU 10 SW
5/161 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. c.ll9O perhaps incorporating earlier fabric; minor later
medieval alterations; south porch dated 1749 but re-using medieval arch, west
buttress dated 1740, C18 bellcote. Chancel partly rebuilt 1882 by John Wardle
of Newcastle. Nave restored and vestry added 1896 by Hicks and Charlewood.
Squared stone of differing periods, except for tooled stone with tooled-and-
margined dressings in C19 parts; graduated Lakeland slate roofs except for
Welsh slates on vestry. Aisleless nave with south porch, chancel with north
West end has chamfered plinth and broad shallow central pilaster buttress
(probably blocking earlier doorway) flanked by renewed round-headed loops.
Gable bellcote has twin pointed openings above band, flat top with corner
finials and square central turret with gable opening in each face and
pyramidal cap carrying weathercock. South wall of nave shows 2 renewed
round-headed windows to east of large porch with tall double-chamfered arch
on plain square jambs and coped gable with C19 cross finial; stone benches
and C19 scissor-braced roof with carved wall-plate. Boarded double doors in
C12 doorway of 3 square orders, with waterleaf capitals of outer orders
surviving; shafts missing. Bearded head corbel set in wall above. North
wall shows two 2-light windows, formerly sashes (one dated 1792) remodelled
with C14-style tracery in late C19. Gables have moulded pitched coping;
cross finial on east.
Lower chancel 1882 except for west part of south wall, with restored round-
headed window, and plain north wall. Square-headed priest's door and second
round-headed window on south and 3 stepped similar windows on east end.
Chamfered eaves cornice and flat-coped east gable on moulded kneelers,
carrying wheel cross finial. Vestry has C14 two-light north window re-set
from south wall of chancel.
Interior: Rear arches of south and possibly west windows are original C12
work. Round chancel arch of 2 square orders on 3 detached shafts with
waterleaf capitals and holdwater bases. Double-chamfered segmental-pointed
arch to vestry/organ chamber. C19 roofs; arch-braced collar-beam trusses,
with upper king posts in nave, on moulded stone corbels. Chancel roof wood
barrelled and panelled.
Earlier C19 panelled dado, with brattished top rail, in nave. Small octagonal
font of uncertain date on C19 stepped base; 1912 carved font cover.
Listing NGR: NU1309201006
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings