This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7201 / 55°43'12"N
Longitude: -2.1656 / 2°9'56"W
OS Eastings: 389693
OS Northings: 647415
OS Grid: NT896474
Mapcode National: GBR F299.YC
Mapcode Global: WH9YN.PHY9
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 22 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303605
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237935
Location: Norham, Northumberland, TD15
Civil Parish: Norham
Built-Up Area: Norham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Norham St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NORHAM CHURCH LANE
12/82 Church of
22.12.69 St. Cuthbert
Parish church. Later C12, probably by Richard of Wolviston for Bishop Puiset.
East bay of chancel added early C14. Tower 1837, south porch and aisle 1846,
by I. Bonomi. North aisle and transept 1852, by D. Gray. Old parts squared
stone, later parts dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Aisles have Welsh
slate roofs, other roofs not visible.
West tower, nave with aisle and south porch, north transept, chancel with
Broad rectangular west tower with large 2-light round-headed bell openings
divided by colonnettes with waterleaf capitals. 6-bay nave. To left gabled
south porch with Romanesque-style doorway: 2 orders of columns with waterleaf
capitals, chevron-moulded arch. Windows have similar detail.
6-bay chancel. Bays one to fiveare genuine Romanesque of the highest quality.
Finely-moulded plinth, the bays -divided by very flat buttresses; Plain round-
headed priest's door in 3rd bay. Above, set high in the wall, 5 round-headed
windows, shafted with waterleaf capitals. The arches are elaborately moulded
with enriched chevrons set at right-angles to the wall, and an outer flat
chevron frieze which continues across the buttresses. Corbel table with
moulded corbels. Right bay has renewed Decorated 2-light window. Plain
parapet. Renewed 5-light Decorated east window.
North wall of chancel has 5 plainer Romanesque windows. On north aisle wall
2 plaques recording dates of restorations, architects, church wardens etc.
Interior: 5-bay south arcade (a painting of before the tower was built shows
7 bays); round pierswith octagonal abaci, waterleaf capitals and finely-
moulded arches, a chevron frieze above. The north arcade is of 1852 but one
of the bases and the semicircular east respond are original. Splendid chancel
arch with 3 orders of columns, waterleaf capitals and roll-moulded arches.
In the chancel a large Decorated tomb recess with open-traceried gable,
containing the effigy of a knight. C14 piscina. Chancel north wall has large
recumbent effigy of Rev. Gilly in a Romanesque-style recess, 1855 by J.G.
Lough. Wall tablets to William Alder, 1800, and Mary Ord, 1810, both by
J. Jobling. Reading desk and pulpit brought from Durham Cathedral in 1840
by the Rev. Gilly. They are mid-C17 in the Cosin style with combined Gothic
and Renaissance motifs. Two flower stands of similar style and period,
acquired mid C20: Also 2 clergy stalls in the chancel re-made in the C19 but
incorporating earlier C17 carving. In the tower arch an C18 organ case. In
the tower a large and very fine carved wood Royal Arms of Charles II. In the
north aisle a composite pillar made up of many Anglo-Saxon cross fragments.
South aisle, wall monument to Jane, Lady Blake, 1827, a figure weeping on a
Source: North Durham: Raines: London, 1852.
Listing NGR: NT8968447411
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings