This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3998 / 51°23'59"N
Longitude: -0.8334 / 0°50'0"W
OS Eastings: 481251
OS Northings: 167394
OS Grid: SU812673
Mapcode National: GBR D7Y.04B
Mapcode Global: VHDX8.H2SR
Plus Code: 9C3X95X8+WJ
Entry Name: Henry Lucas Hospital and Attached Water Pumps
Listing Date: 12 November 1951
Last Amended: 30 January 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303641
English Heritage Legacy ID: 41654
ID on this website: 101303641
Location: Chapel Green, Wokingham, Berkshire, RG40
Civil Parish: Wokingham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Wokingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Tagged with: Architectural structure
1886/10/35 CHAPEL GREEN
12-NOV-51 HENRY LUCAS HOSPITAL
AND ATTACHED WATER PUMPS
(Formerly listed as:
(Formerly listed as:
Almshouses and attached water pumps. Founded 1663 by Henry Lucas, building completed 1667. Brick, rusticated brick quoins; hipped old tile roofs.
PLAN: Symmetrical U-plan group with pavilions at ends of the projecting wings, the right hand being the Chapel, the left hand the former Hall. The almshouses are arranged like an Oxford College around individual staircases which each have individual access from the courtyard. 2 storeys and attics. Six tall C17 chimneys with clay pots on rear roof slope of main wing, and single similar stacks to each pavilion. String at first floor level. Bold moulded and modillioned cornices. Windows are all 2- and 3-light wooden casement windows with leaded glazing; 2 flat roof dormers in wings, and in each pavilion.
The centre part 9 bays wide, with 3 centre bays projecting slightly. The cornice is carried across central part and round a broad pediment which has a boldly carved stone cartouche of arms supported by a cornucopia in the tympanum. Above the pediment is a hexagonal wood bell turret with inverted curved lead
roof and wrought iron weathervane, containing a brass bell dated 1667. 10 panel double central doors in stone architrave, and stone date and inscription panel over, with small floral side enrichment. 2 secondary doors in flanking central projection; with 2 old water pumps adjoining, in wooden boxes, with iron crank handle and spout and floral decoration. Side wings similar, with 2 large, arched windows to pavilions in moulded brick surrounds set in rectangular brick
panels. Entrance doors to Chapel and Hall, with circular windows over, on
each return face of wings. Entrance forecourt enclosed between pavilions is linked by brick walls with weathered coping and central pair of rusticated brick gate piers with moulded stone caps and balls. Wooden gates with carved upper part and side panels and heavy toprail with central ball and inverted side scrolls.
INTERIOR. Chapel has contemporary pews with brass candlesticks, panelling, pulpit, altar-rail and wooden chancel arch flanked by Corinthian pilasters. Chapel and former Common Room both have C17 armorial stained glass. Former Common Room also has wooden dado panelling. Many original C17 wooden doors survive and 5 original wooden staircases with turned balusters also survive
HISTORY: The Henry Lucas Hospital was built under the will of Henry Lucas, MP for Cambridge University, dated 1663, for "the erection and endowment of an almshouse for the relief of old men and for the upkeep of a Master to be their Chaplain". On the death of Henry Lucas's executors, in 1675, the Drapers Company inherited the Trusteeship of the hospital. The Charity Commissioner sold the property in March 2001.
It has been suggested that Sir Christopher Wren may have been the architect of this building. Henry Lucas was professionally associated with Wren, his father Christopher Wren and his Uncle Matthew Wren in the 1640s but no direct documentary evidence has yet been discovered which directly links Wren's name with the design or construction of this building.
V.C.H. vol,lll p.226. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.310.
Listing NGR: SU8122967391
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings