This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.1109 / 55°6'39"N
Longitude: -1.5703 / 1°34'12"W
OS Eastings: 427512
OS Northings: 579690
OS Grid: NZ275796
Mapcode National: GBR K9GB.VP
Mapcode Global: WHC2Z.VSFT
Plus Code: 9C7W4C6H+8V
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 28 July 1950
Last Amended: 15 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303743
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235981
Location: Blyth, Northumberland, NE24
Civil Parish: Blyth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Horton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
HORTON , Cramlington
NZ 27 NE NZ 276979
4/17 Church of St. Mary
(formerly listed as
28.7.50 Horton Church)
Parish Church. On medieval site, rebuilt 1827 retaining late C18 or early C19
transept and remodelled 1903 by W.S. Hicks. Squared stone with ashlar dressings;
Welsh slate roof. Georgian 'preaching box' with west tower and north transept,
slightly later north-east vestry/organ chamber and 1903 porch south of tower.
Remodelling in C14/15 style.
4-bay south wall with plinth and 2-light windows; built into wall between
windows an early C19 sundial, unusual inscribed slab to Anne Harbottle (?)
1517 with incised shears, and 1783 pedimental mural monument. Similar windows
on north of transept and in wall further west. 5-light east window with
quatrefoil panel over; coped east gable with finial cross. Vestry/organ
chamber has early C19 lancets on north and east. Tower of 2 stages divided
by chamfered string; 2-light west window. Single bell openings with roughly-
arched heads on north, south and west; weathering of higher-pitched 1827 roof
visible on east. Band below 1903 embattled parapet with crocketed angle
pinnacles. Porch with diagonal buttresses, moulded plinth and cornice; boarded
double doors in moulded arch, flat parapet with cross fleury.
Interior: 1827 south doorway within porch has panelled double doors under
moulded round arch with imposts and beaded keystone, holding re-set C12
tympanum with diaper pattern. Segmental arch to tower, 4-centred arch to
transept and elliptical arch to organ chamber. Hammer-beam roof. Furnishings
and fittings mostly 1903. Panelled dado with brattished rail, stalls, screens
to organ chamber and tower, pews and pulpit. Mosaic floored sanctuary. Good
quality east window of Virgin and Child. Mural monument to William Reed, 1860,
who died "while engaged in the performance of his duties as resident engineer
on the Calcutta and South Eastern Railway". Bell in tower (not seen), inscribed
'Thos. Ogle, Esq., 1681'.
The north transept was built by Mr. Baker for the accommodation of his family
and other inhabitants of West Hartford.
J. Hodgson, History of Northumberland, Vol. II part II, 265-6.
Listing NGR: NZ2751279690
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings