This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9648 / 50°57'53"N
Longitude: -2.5853 / 2°35'7"W
OS Eastings: 358994
OS Northings: 118538
OS Grid: ST589185
Mapcode National: GBR MR.MDTY
Mapcode Global: FRA 56GK.JM3
Plus Code: 9C2VXC77+WV
Entry Name: The Chantry and Attached Walls
Listing Date: 11 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303876
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105698
Location: Trent, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Trent
Built-Up Area: Trent
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Trent St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 5818-5918 -
The Chantry and attached
Former Chantry-house, now private residence. Mid C15, with slight C19 and
C20 alterations. Rubble-stone walls and dressed-stone quoins. Clay-tile
roof with gable ends and stone gable-copings. Short octagonal stone stacks
with cornices at the gable ends. Original stack embrasure at middle of
south-east wall, with a rebuilt octagonal stone stack over. Small single-
depth rectangular structure. 2½ storeys. 3 windows. S.E. Wall: two
lower windows are each of two cinquefoiled and transomed lights, returned
labels with square stops. There are two similar windows on the upper floor
and a third of 2 plain lights. Iron casements with fixed rectangular-
leaded lights. Doorway immediately south of stack embrasure has moulded
jambs, pointed arch and a square label, plank-and-muntin door, studded,
c. C19. The S.W. and N.W. ends have quatrefoiled panels enclosing blank
shields. In the N.E. end is a window of one trefoiled light. The N.W.
wall has 3 two-light transomed windows similar to those on the S.E. side.
Doorway at centre with moulded jambs and pointed-arch head. Interior:
the north-east room has moulded ceiling-beams, and an original fireplace.
The fireplace has moulded stone jambs and a square head. The lintel-block
has 3 large quatrefoiled panels, the outer two enclosing shields, the
central one enclosing a rosette. The chantry was endowed by John Franks,
died 1437, Master of the Rolls, and native of Trent. The attached walls,
are of rubble-stone with ashlar stone copings, running for 14 metres
north-east of the chantry, rounded corner and 9 metres with a gateway,
rounded corner and running for 25 metres into churchyard wall.
(RCHM, Dorset I, p 258(6). A Sandison, Trent in Dorset (1969), pp 14-16).
Listing NGR: ST5899018532
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings