This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8857 / 52°53'8"N
Longitude: 1.0424 / 1°2'32"E
OS Eastings: 604791
OS Northings: 336364
OS Grid: TG047363
Mapcode National: GBR T9P.0CD
Mapcode Global: WHLR0.ZQJL
Entry Name: Thornage Hall
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304519
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224121
Location: Thornage, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25
Civil Parish: Thornage
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Thornage All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 13 NW
1/113 Thornage Hall
Hall, c1482, altered C17 and CL9. Former grange of The Bishops of Norwich.
Built for Bishop Goldwell (1472-99). Rendered flint with stone dressings.
Black glazed pantiles. Gable parapets. Rectangular hall, c9 x 21m. Now
2 storeys and attic. Front: 4 stepped buttresses with stone dressings, right
hand buttress double width. Small gault brick internal gable stacks and
one small central axial stack. Large equilateral stone arch of 5 orders
to left (to former screens passage) having continuous deep mouldings to front
and rear, with slender round shafts to 2nd and 4th orders. Double leaved
part glazed door. (Arch is now behind foundations of former porch and is
probably the porch arch reset). Smaller doorway to right: arch barely
pointed, rendered round shafts. Late C19 panelled door heavily carved with
medieval themes including monogram MR with lilies in pre-Raphaelite style.
Over door C15 square headed window of 2 cusped lights under panel tracery.
Full height window with similar head to right, transom at first floor level,
window later extended down c½m below original level. Stone dressings.
Spandrels to interior and exterior with shields showing W, well and scallop
(symbols of Bishop Goldwell). Left hand side windows inserted after 1851.
Left of arch: full height to match right hand side; right of arch, on ground
and first floor, cross windows with rendered brick surrounds. Right hand
gable: flint and brick mosaic. Lattice attic window. Left hand gable:
rendered flint and brick. Blocked stone doorway arch in centre. Inserted
C18 3-light casement with glazing bars to ground floor. 2 C20 inserted
attic windows. C19 lean-to of no special interest. Rear: coursed flint and
brick mosaic. Irregular mosaic near eaves. Pantiles. Parts of two 4-centred
relieving arches to right upper floor and similar full height arch to left
(possibly former hall oriel). Ground and first floor: casement windows of
C19 and C20. 2 stepped buttresses with stone dressings. Interior: floored
and subdivided C17 with service rooms to rear. Roll moulded chamfered beams
with ogee and bar stops. C19 pine dogleg stair case with bobbin turned
balusters behind right hand door. Right hand room fireplace: C19 pine
surround with carved relief trailing foliage; late C19 tiles around grate
in blue and orange with rondels depicting activities of the months in pre-
Raphaelite style. Left hand room has inserted fireplace across blocked
doorway arch. Roof: rebuilt, many timbers renewed, scissor braced, 3 rows
of butt purlins. Some moulded purlins. Large rough hewn pine ties. Drawing
in hall of 1851 shows stacks and both door arches. Forms a group with
dovecote, barn and cartshed.
Listing NGR: TG0479136364
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings