This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9598 / 51°57'35"N
Longitude: -2.3663 / 2°21'58"W
OS Eastings: 374923
OS Northings: 229100
OS Grid: SO749291
Mapcode National: GBR 0HJ.2JZ
Mapcode Global: VH93P.XZWZ
Entry Name: Pauntley Court
Listing Date: 2 October 1954
Last Amended: 18 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304730
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125740
Location: Pauntley, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Pauntley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Pauntley St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 72 NW PAUNTLEY -
3/204 Pauntley Court
(formerly listed as part of Pauntley Court
2.10.54 with Dovecote and Barn 60 yards south of
Country house: late C16 or C17, altered C17, early C19, late C20.
Right wing close-studded timber-framing, rendered infill: left
wing at least partly similar framing, rendered over. Cross wing
partly timber-framed on outer face; partly brick, rough render:
courtyard face rough render. Roof tiled, save to outer slope of
right-wing, stone slates. Irregular U-plan, cross section 2 rooms
deep: 2 storeys, right wing originally with attics. Open end of
U approached from church: outer face right wing framed, no
intermediate rail, sill low: Blocked 3-light mullion and transom
window left; 2 late C20 three-light French doors to right: end
section rendered, sash window. First floor 2 late C20 casement
windows: blocked window to right, 2-light C18 casement at end.
Above 3 gables, roof returned beyond ends: left gables blocked 3-
light casement windows, with curved V-struts over: right plain
render. Set back on right to rendered wall: on left half-glazed
door, flush panels below, moulded surround, under wide, flat porch
on timber posts: 4-pane wide sash to right. First floor 2 sash
windows: above hipped end to roof on right, lower, wider hip on
left, extending partly behind right wing: chimney set back in
valley. Right return: on left 3-panel high timber-framing to
ground floor, blocked window: base to chimney projecting. To
right close-studded timber framing with 4-pane wide sash window.
Right half wall rough-render on brickwork: 4-pane wide sash, late
C20 French door replacing original, up 4 stone steps, 2 sashes to
right, with head to cellar window in plinth at right end. First
floor: twin sash window on left, replacing original narrower,
taller window. Line of chimney, since removed, cuts through
framing to right. To right framing varied, single-pane window and
2 sashes. Four sash windows in rendered brick wall. Roof hipped
each end, right-half higher ridge than left.
Interior: large room in left end of cross wing (i.e. with 3 sash
windows and French door on right return), panelled shutters, reeded
surrounds to doors and windows with corner paterae: plaster
cornice with swags and acanthus leaves. Room behind half-glazed
door under porch, stone-paved floor, limestone set in diamond
pattern with black inserts: modillion plaster cornice.
Originally a courtyard house, wing closing yard on church side
since removed: this may have been rebuilt as the present stable
block (q.v.). Rudder noted that the house was neglected by 1779.
Belonged to Whittington family in Middle Ages: Richard
Whittington, Lord Mayor of London in late C14 and early C15 born in
earlier building on site. Forms group with church, dovecote,
stables and mill (q.v.).
Interior of roof to cross and gabled wings not inspected. (D.
Verey: Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970;
S. Rudder, A New History of Gloucestershire, 1779.)
Listing NGR: SO7491629090
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings