This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5928 / 52°35'33"N
Longitude: 1.5823 / 1°34'56"E
OS Eastings: 642729
OS Northings: 305467
OS Grid: TG427054
Mapcode National: GBR XKV.JVL
Mapcode Global: WHMTZ.83Q5
Plus Code: 9F43HHVJ+4W
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304784
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228605
Location: Freethorpe, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13
Civil Parish: Freethorpe
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Wickhampton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
FREETHORPE CHURCH ROAD
TG 40 NW
Church of St. Andrew.
Parish Church, medieval and later. Restored by R.M. Phipson in 1883. Flint
with plain tile roof. West tower, south porch, nave and chancel. Tower c.1436.
3 stages with diagonal buttresses. Flushwork panels on base course, buttress
faces and parapet. West door with spandrel panels, corbel heads and attached
shafts. 3-light Perpendicular west window with tracery. 2-light window above
with Curvilinear tracery. Rectangular sound holes to north and south. 2-light
belfry openings with Curvilinear tracery. Stepped battlemented parapet with
seated figures as pinnacles. C19 porch with diagonal buttresses. South doorway
with niche above. 2-light east and west windows and parapet gables. Inside,
C14 doorway with heads as hood mould stops. 3 bay nave with off-set buttresses,
and C19 2-light windows with 'Y' tracery to north and Curvilinear tracery
to south. Parapet gable with cross finial. 2 bay Norman chancel with C19 off-
set buttresses. C.1722 light stone ovolo moulded window, C13 blocked priest's
door, C13 lancet and C14 'Y' traceried window to south. C13 lancet to north.
3-light Perpendicular window, flanked by C13 blocked lancet windows to east.
Eaves and roof raised. Brick and stone parapet gable. Interior mainly C19.
Perpendicular tower arch, resting on grotesque, corbel heads. C14 piscina in
south aisle wall with cusped ogee arch. Early C14 chancel arch on corbel heads.
Double recessed tomb of the late C13. 2 gabled recesses, flanked by gabled
pinnacled buttress shafts containing the effigies of Sir William Gerbygge
and his Lady. The Knight in chain mail and surcoat holds his heart between
his hands. The Lady wears a wimple. Heraldry on tomb base. Above, arches,
cusped and sub-cusped with Geometric tracery in the spandrels. Colonnettes
with sculptured capitals. Dropped sill sedilia. Piscina, with C13 pointed
arch with recess above. Coffin lid in chancel floor to south. C14 wall
paintings, north nave wall illustrating the Three Quick and the Three Dead,
St.Christopher and eight panels depicting the Seven Works of Mercy and the
Resurrection. C17 octagonal pulpit with lecturn.
Listing NGR: TG4272905467
Other nearby listed buildings