History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Letheringsett with Glandford, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9312 / 52°55'52"N

Longitude: 1.0396 / 1°2'22"E

OS Eastings: 604392

OS Northings: 341413

OS Grid: TG043414

Mapcode National: GBR T92.CMY

Mapcode Global: WHLQT.YL77

Plus Code: 9F43W2JQ+FV

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 4 October 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1304919

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224621

Location: Letheringsett with Glandford, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Letheringsett with Glandford

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Glandford St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


2/80 Church of St. Martin

Parish church, medieval, in ruins by 1730, chancel rebuilt 1875, nave and
aisles 1899-1906 by Hicks and Charlewood at expense of Sir Alfred Jodrell
of Bayfield Hall (qv 2/75). Galletted whole flint with stone dressings,
lead roof. West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle, north porch, south transept
and south vestry; 3-stage embattled tower with parapet of knapped flint,
gargoyle and clock face to north, 2-light west window with renewed tracery,
cusp headed light under a square hood mould, 2-light bell openings with
voussoirs of alternate brick and knapped flint. Gabled north porch: flushwork
with trefoil headed panels and quatrefoils; crocketted finial and niche
with statue of St. Martin and the beggar to gable; moulded basket headed
porch arch with side shafts, shields to left and right inscribed xpi and
ihs, trefoil headed lights to returns with glass by E. Heaseman showing
angels bearing scrolls inscribed "The Lord shall preserve thy coming out
...." to the left and ".... and thy coming in" to the right. Door with
wrought iron foliage straps copied from west door of church of St. Margaret
Cley-next-the-Sea, (qv 9/18). North aisle and chapel under one roof
articulated by buttress; two 3-light windows each with alternate voussoirs
of brick and knapped flint: north chapel and chancel each with 3-light east
window, one single trefoil headed light to north and south chancel, diagonal
buttresses; crosses to gables of chancel and nave. South facade: lean-to
south transept to chancel with 2-light windows to south and west, 3-light
window to nave as north aisle, gable parapet to south vestry. Interior:
C15 2-bay arcade to north with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches,
chancel arch with plain jambs and chamfered arch, chamfered inner arches
to arches from chancel to north chapel and south transept (now organ bay).
Very fine wood carving c.1900 in C15 style throughout by Frank McGinnity
and Walter Thompson; double framed arch braced chancel roof having carved
rafters with elaborate bosses and frieze, stone angel corbels with flying
wooden angels above; hammerbeam roof to nave with flying angels at hammers,
alternate hammers with angel wall posts; rood screen with narrow loft having
access from stair with 4-centred arch between north chapel and chancel arch,
Decorated style tracery to screen and screen panels, suspended rood above;
choir stalls with Decorated tracery, linenfold panelling, stall canopies,
poppyheads; chancel panelling with traceried panels, carved frieze rail;
stone sedilia with ogee arch having rose cusps and diaper work; panelled
dado to nave with frieze of acorns and leaves; wooden pulpit on stone base
with traceried panels and canopied evangelists at angles; screen to tower
with crocketted panel tracery, doorway tracery with vines to spandrels.
White marble octagonal Cl5 style seven sacrament font copied from Walsoken,
Norfolk; crocketted wooden font cover rising to a dove, fleurs de lys around
rim. North chapel: roof of square traceried panels; screen to chancel as
tower screen; painted saints to altar panels; memorial to Adela Monckton
Jodrell d.1896, of white marble angel carrying a wreath and standing on a
cloud, signed by P. Bazzanti of Florence. Organ bay with wooden lierne
vaulting and bosses. North aisle: arch braced roof with bosses, Decorated
style tracery to spandrels; bench end of front pew with carved copy of "The
shepherd's chief mourner" by E.M. Landseer. 6 and 12-light brass candelabra
suspended from wrought iron hooks, said to come from Italy. Glass by C.E.
Kempe and E. Heasman: east windows of chancel and north chapel by Kempe,
that to north chapel showing the Annunciation and the ruined churches of
St. Martin at Glandford and St. Margaret at Bayfield (qv 2/76); other windows
by Heasman include St. George and St. Martin, west of north aisle, and the
Virgin flanked by Justice and Peace in north chapel. Alabaster tablet in
vestry records the rebuilding of the church and the names of all the crafts-
men involved. C.L.S. Linnell: St. Martin's Church, Glandford, 1956.

Listing NGR: TG0439241413

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.