This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9777 / 51°58'39"N
Longitude: -1.7518 / 1°45'6"W
OS Eastings: 417144
OS Northings: 231051
OS Grid: SP171310
Mapcode National: GBR 4P8.V8V
Mapcode Global: VHB1H.LK78
Entry Name: The Orangery, Sezincote House
Listing Date: 11 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305074
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128747
Location: Sezincote, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56
Civil Parish: Sezincote
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Longborough with Sezincote
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 13 SE,
The Orangery, Sezincote House
Orangery. 1800-1805, refaced 1980. By Samuel Pepys Cockerell,
Thomas Daniell and Humphry Repton. Reconstituted grey stone
copying original colour; glass roof with limestone slate roof over
octagonal room. Mogul/Hindu style. Orangery curves away in
quarter circle from rear left of house (q.v.), terminating in an
octagonal room far left. Facade comprises an arcade of 15 pointed
arches each with double doors with glazing bars, flanked by
matching glazed lights to either side. Cusped lights with
radiating glazing bars over. Stone steps up to arcade far right
with cast iron models of Brahmin bulls at bottom. Parapet with
pointed merlons and pointed copper finials at intervals above piers
of arcade. Octagonal room far left with glazed double door at
front and on left to match those of arcade but with some coloured
glass. Engaged columns at corners extended up above roof level
with ball finials at top. Central open-sided octagonal minaret at
centre of octagonal pyramidal roof.
Interior: Coade stone altar against far wall of octagonal room
decorated with figure of seated god and palm tree in relief.
Elaborate bronze lantern hangs from centre of ceiling. Stone steps
up to forward facing entrance with models of Brahmin bulls at base.
Octagonal room formerly used as aviary for exotic birds.
Listing NGR: SP1714431051
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings