This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8028 / 52°48'9"N
Longitude: 1.1347 / 1°8'4"E
OS Eastings: 611400
OS Northings: 327405
OS Grid: TG114274
Mapcode National: GBR TBR.CP9
Mapcode Global: WHLRG.DTK6
Plus Code: 9F43R43M+4V
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 10 May 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305337
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228713
Location: Heydon, Broadland, Norfolk, NR11
Civil Parish: Heydon
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Heydon St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 12 NW HEYDON THE STREET
3/54 Church of St Peter
10-5-61 and St Paul
Parish church. Fabric mainly C14 and C15 with C19 additions. Flint with
limestone dressings. Lead roofs; north porch pantiled. West tower, nave,
chancel, south aisle, south porch, north aisle, north porch, mortuary chapel
on north side of chancel. C15 square west tower in galleted flint; diagonal
staged buttresses with string courses at off-sets. Polygonal stair turret
with quatrefoil lights on south side. West doorway has traceried spandrels
with shields; 2-leaf traceried west door. Square panel with shields above.
4-light west window with quatrefoil in head. Square traceried sound openings
with shields. 3-light bell openings with cusped intersecting tracery.
Embattled parapet on coved string course; octagonal angle piers with
crocketted pinnacles. C14 3-light west windows to aisles. Nave clerestorey
of four 2-light C15 windows with quatrefoils in square surrounds between
openings; the easternmost quatrefoil smaller and glazed. 3-light C15 windows
to south aisle with staged buttresses dividing bays on south wall. C15 2-
storey south porch with 2-light square-headed east and west windows unglazed.
Tierceron-vaulted ceiling on renewed corner shafts, bosses at intersections.
Parapet gable with diagonal buttresses and 2-light upper window. South wall
of chancel has two 3-light C15 windows with segmental brick arches. Priest's
door to west of central buttress. Nave and chancel gables parapeted with
cross-finials and moulded kneelers. Restored 5-light east window with
Perpendicular tracery; below the cill, three pedimented panels with memorial
tablets to the Bulwer family. On the north side of the chancel, the Bulwer
mortuary chapel of 1864. North porch C14 with single light east and west
windows with cusped heads and square drip moulds. Parapet gable with much
brick in apex. Roll-moulded arch with engaged shafts; doorway blocked in
brick. Interior: C15 roofs to nave and chancel; roll-moulded principals
and purlins with bosses at intersections, arch-braced ridge pendants with
star-bosses. Alternate arch braces from rafters onto wallposts and head
corbels. Moulded and decorated cornice. Arch-braced aisle roofs with
traceried spandrels. C14 north and south arcades of four bays, quatrefoil
piers with keeled fillets and double-chamfered arches. Polygonal capitals.
Screen, donated 1480 by John Dynne, retains much original colour, decoration
and lettering, tall one-light divisions, cusped arches with flower-finials;
restored cornice. C15 pulpit on wineglass stem set on a section of stone
octagonal shaft with fleuron decoration; C17 backboard with relief carving
of the Last Supper, octagonal tester. Pulpit hexagonal with traceried panels.
C17 family box-pew at east end of nave, against screen. Chancel has blocked
doorway in north wall with much-repaired recess to east. Piscina with cusped
head in south-east corner. Dropped-cill sedilia. Communion rail with twisted
balusters. C17 and C18 memorial slabs in chancel floor, including brass
inscription to Dorothy, daughter of John and Frances Castell (d.1618). In
the east end of the north aisle, a massive memorial slab to Erasmus Earle,
1690 surrounded by iron railings. Cartouche on north wall above gives the
date of Earle's death as 1667. Good wall monument to John Steward Bachelour
(d.1708) on north side of tower arch. South-east chapel has piscina with
cusped head and petalled bowl; early C17 panelled reredos, re-used. C14
wall paintings on north aisle wall and in south-east chapel. Font C13, a
large round tub on an octagonal base.
Listing NGR: TG1140027405
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings