This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.56 / 52°33'36"N
Longitude: 0.602 / 0°36'7"E
OS Eastings: 576476
OS Northings: 298976
OS Grid: TL764989
Mapcode National: GBR Q8Z.H0K
Mapcode Global: WHKR7.6XX9
Plus Code: 9F42HJ62+2Q
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 23 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305354
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220956
Location: Foulden, Breckland, Norfolk, IP26
Civil Parish: Foulden
Built-Up Area: Foulden
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Foulden All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
FOULDEN SCHOOL ROAD
TL 79 NE
4/9 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint partly rendered with ashlar and
some brick dressings. Slate, pantile and corrugated concrete tile roofs.
Former western tower; aisled nave with porches; chancel with vestry to north.
West wall with scars of former tower and a partially blocked tower arch
serving as a window. Modern bellcote. South aisle with a C14 2-light cusped
Y-traceried west window, 3 C14 2-light south windows, 2 with mouchettes and
a C14 3-light east window with mouchettes - one light blocked by rood stair
projection. C14 cusped tomb recess in south wall with ogee head. Graffito
with initials E.B. and date 1594. Broken C14 tomb slab in recess with raised
cross decoration. Large porch with double ogee moulded entrance arch on
shafted responds. C14 2-light side windows with reticulated tracery. C14
south doorway with filletted roll mouldings and carved head label stops.
North aisle with C14 2-light windows similar to south aisle. Porch with
plain chamfered entrance arch and cusped 2-light side windows. Early roof
with moulded wall plate and principal rafters supported on wall posts. North
doorway of 2 plain chamfered orders. 6 2-light clearstorey windows with
cusping. Chancel with 4 3-light panel traceried side windows with shallow
heads and a 4-light east window in similar style. Gabled diagonal buttresses
and a priest's doorway to south. Interior. Plain chamfered tower arch of
2 orders on polygonal responds. 4-bay arcades of tall octagonal piers
supporting arches of 2 plain chamfered orders. Chancel arch in similar
style. Surviving rood stair doorway and door in south aisle. Cusped piscina
in chancel. Late Medieval moulded arch braced chancel roof. Surviving dado
of C15 screen with 10 mutilated paintings. Late Medieval polygonal pulpit
with blind tracery and later shelves on carved brackets. C19 or C20 panelled
base. Late Medieval nave pews with poppy-head bench ends and carved arm
rests. C18 box pews in aisles. C17 panelled dada on east wall of chancel
with carved frieze. Plain octagonal font on octagonal stem with moulded
capital. Fine marble wall monument in chancel to Robert Long (died 1656).
Listing NGR: TL7647698976
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings