This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7215 / 51°43'17"N
Longitude: -2.1579 / 2°9'28"W
OS Eastings: 389191
OS Northings: 202539
OS Grid: SO891025
Mapcode National: GBR 1N1.17T
Mapcode Global: VH94Z.KZ2P
Plus Code: 9C3VPRCR+HV
Entry Name: Church of Christ Church with Railings
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305623
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132860
Location: Chalford, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Chalford
Built-Up Area: Chalford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Chalford Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 8802-8902 CHALFORD LONDON ROAD
13/66 Church of Christ Church
Former chapel of ease, now parish church. 1725, enlarged 1841 by
T. Foster of Bristol; 1857 alterations by F.T. Gompertz, further
1890 alterations by B. Edmund Ferrey. Ashlar and coursed rubble
limestone; decorative plain tile roof. Nave with north aisle,
west tower and 2 south porches; chancel with north vestry. Neo-
Norman style. Five tall Norman style round arched nave windows to
south side with linking string course at arch springing level;
sill-level string course. Two parapet gabled porches with Norman
archways. Diagonal offset buttresses to ends of nave. Eight
transverse gables to north aisle, 7 with round arched window
containing coloured glass. Three-stage west tower with very squat
broach tile-hung spire. Norman style arch to each tower stage,
belfry openings being 2-light. Norman style east triplet window to
small chancel, round window above.
Interior: broad nave with 7-bay round arched north arcade with
tall Roman Doric columns; transverse aisle tunnel vault. Timber
boarded nave roof with compartment ribs and coved cornice. Three-
centred chancel arch. Much panelling and fittings by Sapperton
Arts and Crafts group. Openwork choir screen and organ loft
panelling by Norman Jewson. Fine lectern with ivory and mother-of-
pearl inlay by Peter Waals. Circular stone font with fish carving
by William Simmonds has tall timber cover by Norman Jewson with
silverwork by George Hart. Stained glass to south nave windows by
Edward R. Payne, 1951. Wall monument with figure of mourner and
urn to John William Jones, died 1860. South frontage has iron
railings, principal posts with urn finials. Residents of Chalford
erected a 'neat chapel' in 1725, which after considerable
enlargement became a district church in 1842.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 4-40; M.A.
Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937; and D.
Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO8919102539
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings