This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4908 / 50°29'27"N
Longitude: -4.0317 / 4°1'54"W
OS Eastings: 255978
OS Northings: 67642
OS Grid: SX559676
Mapcode National: GBR Q1.SG78
Mapcode Global: FRA 27FR.R3Q
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 21 March 1967
Last Amended: 28 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305691
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92847
Location: Sheepstor, West Devon, Devon, PL20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Sheepstor
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 56 NE
18/115 The Old Vicarage (formerly listed
as Old Priest's House)
House, formerly likely to have been the vicarage or priests house. Circa early-mid
C16 with C17 alterations and C20 additions.
Rendered rubble walls. Slate roof gabled to left end and hiped to right. 2
rendered stacks - one at left end and one axial.
Plan: 3-room-and-through-passage plan with lower end to the right. Hall stack backs
onto the passage but this stack may date from a C17 re-modelling, when the newel
stairs were added in a projection at the rear of the hall probably marked by the
date-stone of 1658. Lean-to additions were made at the rear and the front of the
higher end in the C20.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front mainly of C20 casements, the 1st
floor windows are gabled dormers. To left of centre is circa late C16 or early C17
3-light granite mullion window with hollow chamfer. To right of centre is 4-centred
granite arched doorway, hollow-chamfered which is probably original. 2-light
granite mullion window above it. To left of this is a date-stone of 1658. C20
lean-to addition in front of left end and lean-to garage built against right end
wall, formerly stable. At the rear to right of centre is a large gabled stair
projection with granite framed light, in the right-hand wall is a very tiny circular
spy-hole looking onto the churchyard. Outshuts to its left and right and a single
storey C20 wing at the left-hand end.
Interior: The hall has a granite framed fireplace with chamfered lintel (which is
straight) and jambs. In the wall to the rear of the fireplace, no longer an outside
wall due to the addition of an outshut, is a single light granite framed window
which has a segmental arched head and recessed spandrels on the outside - this is
probably the only surviving original window. At the rear of the hall there is a 4-
centred granite doorway leading to the stone newel stairs. Adjoining this doorway
is an unusual feature: a stone-lined recess with raised floor occupying the space
underneath the stairs and with an arched opening - the purpose of which was
presumably food storage. At the head of the stairs are 2 adjoining granite doorway
in an integral arrangement sharing a jamb, one, however has a segmental head whereas
the other is 4-centred. Another 4-centred granite doorway leads from the hall to
the inner room.
Despite a number of C20 additions this house preserves several interesting features
and forms a good group in the centre of the village with the Church and village
Listing NGR: SX5597967640
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings