History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sheepstor War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Sheepstor, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4909 / 50°29'27"N

Longitude: -4.0314 / 4°1'53"W

OS Eastings: 256000

OS Northings: 67643

OS Grid: SX560676

Mapcode National: GBR Q1.SG9G

Mapcode Global: FRA 27FR.R82

Plus Code: 9C2QFXR9+8C

Entry Name: Sheepstor War Memorial

Listing Date: 21 February 2019

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1462644

Location: Sheepstor, West Devon, Devon, PL20

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Sheepstor

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Summary


A First World War memorial, unveiled in 1920 and altered following the Second World War.

Description

A First World War memorial, unveiled in 1920 and altered following the Second World War.

MATERIALS: the memorial is made of granite quarried within Sheepstor parish with slate panels.

PLAN: the memorial stands in the churchyard at St Leonard's Church, a short distance from the Andrew headstone and the Brooke monuments.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a rough-hewn plain Latin cross on a tapering square plinth with a two-stepped square base. It is carved from pale grey granite.

The main inscription is in incised lettering on a recessed slate panel on the eastern face of the plinth, and reads:

IN/ GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ (NAMES)/ OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR KING AND/ COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-19/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT/ A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS/ ST JOHN 15 V. 13

A further inscription in incised letter on a recessed slate panel on the western face of the plinth reads:

1939 - 1945/ (NAMES)/ OF THIS PARISH.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Sheepstor as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled on Wednesday 29 September 1920 by Lady Albertha Lopes and dedicated by the Archdeacon of Plymouth. It was paid for by public subscription. The granite from which the cross and base are made was quarried in Sheepstor and was given by Mrs John Bayly, and the steps were given by Miss Bayly of Yelverton.

The names of two parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Reasons for Listing

Sheepstor War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* it is a dignified and sombre stone cross, neatly made and well-proportioned.

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact on the local community of the events of the First World War.

Group value:

* it has good group value with other nearby listed buildings, including the Grade I-listed church and the Grade II-listed Lych Gate.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.