This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7875 / 50°47'15"N
Longitude: -3.4948 / 3°29'41"W
OS Eastings: 294725
OS Northings: 99727
OS Grid: SX947997
Mapcode National: GBR LH.ZQFW
Mapcode Global: FRA 37K0.B9T
Entry Name: Medieval cross base and War Memorial, Rewe
Listing Date: 20 May 1985
Last Amended: 27 April 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305695
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88485
Location: Rewe, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Rewe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Rewe St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 99 NW REWE REWE
4/174 Cross base at junction of
- Green Lane and A396
Cross base. C15 with shaft and arms added as a First World War memorial. Stone, the
base octagonal, four of the faces shouldered.
Listing NGR: SX9472599727
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 December 2016.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
First World War memorial erected circa 1920, incorporating a medieval cross base.
SUMMARY: First World War Memorial, unveiled 1921, incorporating a shouldered medieval cross base thought to date to the C15.
MATERIALS: smooth-dressed granite.
DESCRIPTION: Rewe and Netherexe War Memorial stands on a small triangular traffic island surrounded by a timber post and linked chain boundary at Rewe crossroads, where Green Lane meets the A396, and incorporates the single-stone base of a medieval cross.
The memorial comprises an early C20 granite cross inserted into the socketed base of a former medieval cross, which in turn stands on an early C20 two-stage granite plinth; the bottom step is octagonal in plan and the upper step, carrying the war memorial inscriptions, is square.
The medieval socketed stone is square at its base with corner shoulders, above which it is octagonal. The cross shaft rises from the medieval stone to the cross head, being rectangular at its base with pointed stops, above which the angles are chamfered. The cross shaft is slightly tapered and the cross arms are chamfered and slightly splayed. The top arm of the cross is longer than its side arms.
The memorial inscriptions are located on the upper step of the plinth and read (front) THIS ANCIENT CROSS WAS RESTORED IN MEMORY OF / THOSE WHO DIED FOR THEIR KING AND COUNTRY 1914-1919.// (to the right) NETHEREXE/ (NAMES). // (back) THANKS BE TO GOD WHICH GIVETH US THE VICTORY / THROUGH OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST. // (to the left) REWE/ (NAMES).
Rewe and Netherexe War Memorial incorporates the socketed single-stone base of a medieval wayside cross, thought to date to the C15, which once stood on or near the present site of the memorial at Rewe crossroads.
By the production of the 1889/90 and 1889/1912 OS maps it would appear that the condition of the medieval cross was at best fragmentary, being marked thereon, in the same location, as 'Stone Cross (remains of)'. This is supported by an illustration published in 1893 (Chudleigh) which shows the medieval cross before its later restoration as a First World War memorial, comprising then of the socket stone, supporting the badly damaged stump of a cross shaft (shaft now lost), the latter being square at the base and chamfered above, which is similar to the existing memorial's shaft. The 1951 OS map shows a cross in this location and the memorial is clearly shown on an aerial photograph, dated 1947.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. As such, the decision was taken to restore the medieval wayside cross as a war memorial and permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the nine members of Rewe and Netherexe who lost their lives in the First World War.
The restored cross, having cost £116, was unveiled in January 1921 by Viscount Hambleden, with local press at the time confirming 'the cross has an entirely new shaft and a new under-base, but the original [medieval] granite base is retained' (Exeter and Plymouth Gazette - Tuesday 25 January 1921, pp5).
Rewe and Netherexe War Memorial, incorporating a medieval cross base, which stands at the junction of Green Lane with the A396, Rewe, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the First World War, incorporating the socketed base of a medieval cross which once stood nearby;
* Architectural interest: as an accomplished and well-realised stone war memorial, in the manner of a medieval wayside cross, based on and incorporating medieval material found locally, and sensitively adapted for its inclusion in a First World War memorial.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings