History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Venn House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lamerton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5646 / 50°33'52"N

Longitude: -4.1871 / 4°11'13"W

OS Eastings: 245200

OS Northings: 76157

OS Grid: SX452761

Mapcode National: GBR NT.FY1B

Mapcode Global: FRA 273K.YBV

Entry Name: Venn House

Listing Date: 21 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1305736

English Heritage Legacy ID: 93933

Location: Lamerton, West Devon, Devon, PL19

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Lamerton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Lamerton

Listing Text

LAMERTON
SX 47 NE
3/37 Venn House
-
21.3.67
GV II*

House, now in multiple occupation. C17 origin, fireplace dated 1635, completely
remodelled and enlarged c.1820 with mid-late C19 rear service wing and later C20
alterations. Snecked granite rubble with granite dressings, partly rendered and
slate-hung, slate roof with ridge and gable stacks.
Probably originally 3 room and through passage plan, completely remodelled c.1820 so
that only hall with hall stack (at ridge to left) now remains; building extended
probably by 1 bay to left 3 to right, front made symmetrical and central 3-storey
porch tower added, forming single depth plan house with stair to rear left approached
by corridor; later C19 rear service wing to right, extended in L-plan to form rear
service courtyard.
2 storeys. 3:1:3 bays with central 3-storey porch tower, symmetrical front. Porch
tower has double studded doors with panels of Gothic glazing, flat-roofed porch on 2
plain granite piers, first and second floors have 2-light casement with pointed arch,
Y-tracery, octagonal glazing and relieving arch, moulded cornice and embattled
parapet; similar blind window with raised granite mouldings in pattern of glazing
bars at first and second floors left and right sides and blind oval with similar
mouldings at second floor, conservatory with similar glazing attached right and left
of tower with similar half-glazed door remaining to right. 2 bays to each side of
porch broken forward, similar glazed door inside conservatories, large 2-light
casement with octagonal glazing to outer side; above a smaller inner and larger outer
gable, each with pointed-arched 2-light casement as on porch tower, raised coped
verges and acorn finials; outer bay right and left have similar ground and first
floor window, at first floor in gabled dormer with acorn finial. Set behind porch
tower, a cupola with slate-hung lower section, with louvred wooden panels, cornice,
lead ogee roof and weathervane; plinth to whole front elevation. Right return
rendered, half-glazed door with triangular hood to right, 2-light C20 casement at
first floor left. Left return has gable in mixed slatestone rubble, with line of
roof raising. Rear has 2-storey C20 addition in angle to rear wing, slate-hung, and
small single-storey addition to right, two 4-pane lights under eaves of main house;
to left of rear wing, small early C19 Gothic stair tower with hipped roof, pointed
arched tall stair light with similar glazing, small 4-pane light at upper level to
right and Gothic glazed overlight remaining from former door. 2-storey rear service
wing with hipped roof has at left side one 4-pane sash at ground floor and 2 at first
floor, rear has 4-pane sash with cambered head at ground and first floor, 4-pane sash
at first floor to right side; wing extended to right, outer side has 12-pane ground
floor light and two 4-pane lights under eaves, small single light to right. Attached
single-storey range of outbuildings to right forming L-plan. Inner side of rear wing
has ground and first floor 4-pane sash, porch to right with plain door with overlight
and 4-pane sash above; inner side of extended range has 12-pane light at ground floor
left, blocked door and small single opening above, 2 C20 lights under eaves; lower
range has door and C20 casement, further range has wooden store with 2 round-headed
recesses, 3 further doors.
Interior room to front left of porch formerly hall has fireplace, probably at former
gable end or next to inner room, in granite, with roll-mouldings, flat head, raised
half-circle on frieze with initials TPD 1635, segmental lower head carved wooden
heraldic beasts to sides supporting panelling with applied mouldings and carved
brackets; pilasters to blocked door to right, slate floors. Other features of early
C19, including swept staircase in porch tower with turned balusters rising to first
floor landing, second floor room in porch tower has marble fireplace with central
flowers, panelled overmantel and walls, cupboard recess to rear with reeded pilasters
and shaped pediment over. Rear dog leg stair of early C19 with wreathed handrail,
turned knopped balusters, cornice and ceiling rose above stair well, cornice with
bead and reel mouldings at ground floor in corridor, ground floor to side of stair
well has plaster ceiling with beaded panels; panelled doors in moulded architraves.
Rest of building not accessible.


Listing NGR: SX4520076157

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.