History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Knaworthy Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Frithelstock, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9379 / 50°56'16"N

Longitude: -4.2294 / 4°13'45"W

OS Eastings: 243453

OS Northings: 117750

OS Grid: SS434177

Mapcode National: GBR KH.PBC2

Mapcode Global: FRA 261M.D4C

Entry Name: Knaworthy Farmhouse

Listing Date: 19 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1305786

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91413

Location: Frithelstock, Torridge, Devon, EX38

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Frithelstock

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Frithelstock

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Langtree

Listing Text

FRITHELSTOCK
SS41NW
10/97 Knaworthy Farmhouse
II
Farmhouse. Early C17, with later C17 extension to right.
Colourwashed render over coursed slatestone rubble; gabled Welsh
slate roof; rendered stone ridge stack and external left end
stack. Early C17 one-unit plan with rear outshut; a 2-unit plan
with central lobby-entry was added to the right in the later C17;
the later C17 house evidently consisted of a parlour to left,
central hall and unheated service room to right. 2 storeys;
5-window range. C20 door and porch. Flat rendered arches over
C20 windows. C17 outshut to rear left, heightened in C20 and
adjoining C20 porch. Interior: early C17 section to left, of
one-unit plan with rear outshut, has plaster panel with relief
lettering reading IHTH/1529, chamfered beam and open fireplace
with cloam oven in front room, which also has two C17 chamfered
wooden doorframes to rear outshut; left side of outshut contained
staircase which has been removed; first floor has 3 similar
doorframes, one with ovolo-moulded architrave. Later C17
extension to right; central room, former hall, has stone-flag
floor, roll-stopped beam, scribed joists, open fireplace with
cloam oven and chamfered doorframe to staircase positioned at
rear of stack; chamfered beam in room to right; two C17 A-frame
trusses, with pegged collars (one with open notch-lapped joint)
and ridge purlin set in notched apexes. The early C17 plaster
panel is unusual in having the 1527 date, which may have recorded
an important marriage.


Listing NGR: SS4345317750

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.