This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7722 / 50°46'19"N
Longitude: -3.7658 / 3°45'57"W
OS Eastings: 275582
OS Northings: 98440
OS Grid: SX755984
Mapcode National: GBR QG.BQ9C
Mapcode Global: FRA 3701.LPY
Entry Name: Great Wotton Farmhouse
Listing Date: 20 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96583
Location: Colebrooke, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Colebrooke
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Colebrooke
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 79 NE
- Great Wotton Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Probably C16 origins, rebuilt and enlarged in early C17, modernised in
C18 and C19. Plastered cob on rubble footings; stone rubble stacks topped with C19
and C20 brick; thatch roof, L-shaped house. Long south-facing main block has a
30room-and-through-passage plan with large service room (now converted to a garage)
at right (east) end. Hall and passage section break forward a little from the main
front. C17 kitchen wing at right angles to rear of inner room. C20 outshot blocks
rear passage doorway in angle of 2 wings. Hall and inner room have rear lateral
stacks and kitchen has end stack. 2 storeys.
Regular 5-window front comprising a variety of C19 and C20 casements with glazing
bars and at right end first floor level the 4-light window has C17 oak franc and
includes 2 ovolo-moulded mullions. Below that window is C20 wide garage doorway.
Front passage doorway is said to have been open until 1910 when C17-style doorfrane
erected to take genuine C17 plank door hung on strap hinges with fleur-de-lys
finials and with moulded cover strips making a 20-panel front. Roof is gable-
ended. The right end is partly rebuilt with C20 brick.
Interior: the main block shows only C18 and C19 plaster and joinery detail although
the earlier layout survives and earlier features are probably hidden, notably the
hall fireplace. A broad coved cornice at the upper end of the hall could be
evidence of a C16 or C17 internal jetty. The service roan is divided from the
passage by a full height cob crosswall and contains plain chamfered crossbeams. The
kitchen wing has exposed C17 features including an oak door frame with an ovolo-
moulded and scroll stopped surround from the C20 outshot and the crossbeam is also
ovolo-moulded with scroll stops. The stack though was rebuilt circa 1920 after the
collapse of the original. The roof throughout was raised and rebuilt in the C18
with A-frame trusses with pegged lap-jointed collars; those over the kitchen range
of more slender scantling. In the left (western) gable end of the main block the
former lower roofline shows internally in the cob.
According to the owners the farm was leased from the church up until 1910 and the
terms of the lease obliged the tenant to keep the passage open and provide food and
drink there to anyone passing through. This was ended with the sale of the property
and at that time the church introduced the front passage door.
Listing NGR: SX7558298440
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings