This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8731 / 51°52'23"N
Longitude: 0.6848 / 0°41'5"E
OS Eastings: 584919
OS Northings: 222795
OS Grid: TL849227
Mapcode National: GBR QKD.KY9
Mapcode Global: VHJJL.T5DY
Entry Name: 55-63, Stoneham Street
Listing Date: 31 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306083
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116219
Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: Coggeshall
Built-Up Area: Coggeshall
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL STONEHAM STREET
9/187 Nos. 55 to 63 (odd)
House, now 5 cottages. Circa 1550, altered in C18, C19 and C20. Timber framed,
plastered and weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range
facing NE, with 2 C19 axial stacks, originally comprising a parlour/solar
crosswing of wide span at the left end, a 2-bay storeyed 'hall' in the middle,
and a 2-bay service crosswing at the right end, all of one construction and
fully integrated, now under one continuous roof and partitioned into cottages at
bay divisions, and with an axial partition through the left crosswing, dividing
nos. 55 and 57. C16 wing to rear of right end, jettied to the left, with C16
axial stack in the first bay, truncated just beyond the stack c.1922 (see RCHM
47). C18/19 full-length 2-storey lean-to extension to rear of nos. 55-61, with
slate roof. C20 single-storey lean-to extension with slate roof to rear of no.
59; C20 conservatory to rear of no. 55. C18/19 lean-to extension at right end,
now part of no. 63. Ground floor, 4 early C19 sashes of 8+12 lights, (nos.
55-61) and one of 10+15 lights (no. 63). First floor, 4 early C19 sashes of 8+8
lights (nos. 55-61) and one of 10+15 lights (no. 63). Much crown glass. No. 55
has a C20 glazed door, nos. 57-61 have C20 plain doors, no. 63 has a C19 flush
4-panel door. Full-length jetty with joists of horizontal section exposed
below, and C18 carved wooden bracket below right end. C18 moulded wooden eaves
cornice, gutter on wrought iron brackets. The rear elevation and right return
are weatherboarded, the front plastered. Chamfered axial beams of heavy section
with step stops; joists chamfered with step stops in left crosswing. Jetty
plate missing. Lower storey of exceptional height, approximately 2.80 metres.
On ground floor of left crosswing, blocked original doorway into 'hall' with
chamfered Tudor head, and blocked doorway with plain head above (both exposed in
no. 57). Crownpost roof with axial braces over 'hall'. Roofs of crosswings
rebuilt. The short part remaining of the rear wing has a wide wood-burning
hearth facing backwards, with rear splays, brick depressed arch (damaged) with
relieving lintel above, plain joists of horizontal section framed round the
stack, and a crownpost roof with one axial brace, clad on the left side only
with corrugated iron.
Listing NGR: TL8491922795
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings