This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7663 / 50°45'58"N
Longitude: -3.6843 / 3°41'3"W
OS Eastings: 281317
OS Northings: 97657
OS Grid: SX813976
Mapcode National: GBR QM.414P
Mapcode Global: FRA 3752.2GH
Entry Name: Chapel of St Luke
Listing Date: 20 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306210
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95161
Location: Crediton Hamlets, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
Civil Parish: Crediton Hamlets
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Crediton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 89 NW CREDITON HAMLETS
7/60 Chapel of St Luke
Small chapel. 1835 according to date plaque. Snecked, rock-faced Posbury volcanic
stone with Salcombe and Beer stone dressings; slate roof. Gothic revival. Gable
ended block housing nave and chancel under same roof, west porch and southern
sacristy. West end has central gabled porch with moulded Salcombe stone arch with
hoodmould, the gable has coping on kneelers with stone cross on apex. Flanking
buttresses to main gable which is surmounted by octagonal Beer stone chimney shaft
on a rectangular base with recessed panel containing the date 1835. Under the
gable a small Beer stone niche with cinquefoil-heade arch and hoodmould used to
house bell. 3-window south front, all Beer stone square-headed windows of 3 lights
with cinquefoil heads and hoodmoulds with 4-leaf labels. Projecting coved eaves
cornice. Gabled sacristy right of centre has Decorated arched gable window, 2-
lights with hoodmould. Similar 4-light window in east end with Geometric tracery.
4 square-headed Beer stone windows to north similar to those on south.
Plain interior of mostly C19 fittings. Flat ceiling and half dome over altar with
moulded ribs and panels painted as night sky. Plain oak pews include smaller
versions at the front for children. Oak altar rail on wrought iron supports with
sroll brackets and spiral-twist centre sections. Carved oak reredos flanked by
large tapestries depicting scenes from early life of Christ. East window contains
stained glass, the Davis Memorial window of 1908 by H J Salisbury of London and St
Albans. 3 of nave windows retain C19 leaded lights of small diamond quarries and
rectangular frosted panes.
Source: Devon C19 Church Project
Listing NGR: SX8131797657
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings