This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8821 / 50°52'55"N
Longitude: -3.2089 / 3°12'32"W
OS Eastings: 315051
OS Northings: 109873
OS Grid: ST150098
Mapcode National: GBR LW.SQW7
Mapcode Global: FRA 465R.TZP
Plus Code: 9C2RVQJR+RC
Entry Name: Middle Mackham Farmhouse
Listing Date: 15 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306601
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95696
Location: Hemyock, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15
Civil Parish: Hemyock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dunkeswell St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 11 SW HEMYOCK
10/40 Middle Mackham
Formerly known as Alexanderhayes.
Detached house, formerly a farmhouse. Mid C17 (there is a reused datestone of
1642), possibly incorporating some late medieval roof timbers, and partially rebuilt
in the 1940s after receiving bomb damage. Roughcast random rubble flint with some
cob ; gable-end, corrugated-iron roof.
Plan: only the lower end and passage survive of what was originally a 3 or 4-room,
through-passage plan house, the lower end to the right of the passage. The higher
end was completely rebuilt after the war. A smoke-blackened closed jointed cruck
truss survives adjacent to the axial stack, with some blackened purlins, but the
remainder of the roof, also of jointed cruck construction, appears to be of the 1642
build. There are 2 lower-end rooms both heated by 1 massive axial stone stack, with
a wing standing forward of the extreme right-hand room. Winder stairs in a rear
turret. A rebuilt higher-end stone end stack carries the re-used datestone : 'RP
1642'. A brick shaft (serving a boiler) occupies the classic hall stack position -
which it probably replaces - backing on to the passage. 2 storeys.
Exterior. Front: irregular 4-window range, the 1940s work much taller with 2 half
dormers; all the fenestration is late C20. The doorway to the passage retains its
ovolo-moulded lintel, the jambs are replaced. The inner face of the front wing with
a 3-light window to each floor, C17, with deeply chamfered mullions and surround; a
similar window survives on the right-hand elevation of the wing. Later loft access
to front of wing.
Rear: completely late-C20 fenestration. The first storey of the right-hand end of
the main range has been encased in corrugated iron.
Interior: Passage : higher end of stone, with one ovolo-moulded doorway to former
hall; service end with another doorway with steeply cranked lintel and chamfered
jambs. It is very likely that a plank and muntin screen survives beneath the
present plyboard. First service-end room : 2 chamfered, unstopped and a boxed cross
ceiling beam. The outer service room with chamfered cross ceiling beam with run-out
stops. Both fireplaces are blocked; their combined depth is about 17'.
Contemporary fielded panel and planked door. Newel stair, entered from ground floor
by chamfered doorway with steeply cranked lintel; the solid timber steps survive
intact; at the head of the stairs 2 doorways (similar to that just described) lead
into the upper rooms, divided by the newel attached to the lower blade of the roof
truss. First service-room chamber with fireplace with chamfered and stopped stone
jambs, the chamfer carried through the timber lintel.
Roof: 3 jointed cruck trusses, with Alcock type F2 apex carpentry; the diagonal
ridge-piece and rafters survive in large part, but no longer carry the present roof.
Listing NGR: ST1505409875
Other nearby listed buildings