This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.348 / 50°20'52"N
Longitude: -4.0003 / 4°0'1"W
OS Eastings: 257776
OS Northings: 51701
OS Grid: SX577517
Mapcode National: GBR Q3.8J8N
Mapcode Global: FRA 28H3.Z6Y
Plus Code: 9C2Q8XXX+6V
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 29 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306637
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100487
Location: Yealmpton, South Hams, Devon, PL8
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Yealmpton
Built-Up Area: Yealmpton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX5751 YEALMPTON FORE STREET
11/208 (south side)
Parish church. Rebuilt in 1850 by William Butterfield. Tower of 1915. Coursed
stone and ashlar, with freestone dressings. Slate roofs. Decorated style.
Comprising:- nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north and south transepts,
south porch and later west tower. Decorated windows with rectilinear, intersecting
and foiled tracery. Buttreses with set-offs. 1915 west tower in three stages with
pinnacles and battlements.
The exterior is unremarkable in contrast to the interior where the walls have bands
of black marble following the lines of the window arches and arcades. In the chancel
diaper pattern and polychromatic friezes. Smaller arch set within the chancel arch
with polychromatic diaper pattern. Octagonal arcade piers with bands of a dark and
light marble. Aisle walls have inscriptions in circular frames. The chancel roof is
boarded and painted and the ribs are supported on corbel heads. The nave and aisle
roofs are unceiled wooden barrel vaults and the transepts have scissor braces.
Contemporary furnishings including seating, alter rail, tower screen, pulpit and
lectern etc and an alabaster screen to choir and an alabaster font. Disused Norman
font bowl with low relief wavy lines.
Monuments from the old church; Brass to Sir John Crocker in armour 1508. Mary
Coppleston 1630 tomb chest with kneeling figures in arched recess. Mural monuments
to Bastard family, including:- Thomas Veale Bastard 1732. Edmund and Baldwin
Pollexfen 1773. Thomas Veale 1782, a bust.
References: Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society (IV) pages
245-9. Paul Thompson, "William Butterfield".
Listing NGR: SX5777651701
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings