This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9901 / 50°59'24"N
Longitude: -3.4879 / 3°29'16"W
OS Eastings: 295666
OS Northings: 122246
OS Grid: SS956222
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.KS78
Mapcode Global: FRA 36LH.DZ4
Plus Code: 9C2RXGR6+3R
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 5 April 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306717
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96709
Location: Bampton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Bampton
Built-Up Area: Bampton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bampton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 9422-9522 BAMPTON STATION ROAD, Bampton
14/64 Church of St Michael and All Angels
Parish church. Tower probably C13, parts of chancel, nave and aisle C14, C15
remodelling including arcade ; series of restorations 1872-98 adopted in favour of
plans to replace the church which was very dilapidated in 1870. Local stone rubble
with slate roofs and Bath, Beer and volcanic stone dressings ; Beerstone arcade.
West tower, nave, chancel, 5-bay north aisle, north-east vestry, south porch. Plain
Early English tower ; some Decorated tracery in nave aisle and chancel, otherwise
Impressive plain battlemented west tower with a north-east projecting stair turret,
angle buttresses, a double-chamfered west doorway and 3-light C14 west window with
intersecting tracery. The chancel and nave fenestration is mostly renewed ; 2-
centred south priest's doorway ; 3-sided rood stair turret with scratch dial ; large
porch with plain 2-centred outer doorway, chamfered 2-centred inner doorway and C15
arch braced roof.
Interior: Unplastered walls ; C15 moulded chancel arch with panelled soffit ; plain
2-centred tower arch ; 5-bay C15 arcade with carved capitals ; C15 wagon roofs to
nave and aisle with moulded ribs and carved bosses, plaster infill removed ; chancel
wagon roof boarded with an extra rib over the sanctuary, 2-light window above chancel
arch lights rood screen.
Fittings: The chancel has an C18 pedimented timber reredos in the Roman style which
originally incorporated an oil painting ; ogee-headed cusped C14 piscina ; C19 altar
rails and pretty tiling ; The remains of an exceptional probably late C15 cataclews
tomb chest are fixed to the north wall. 7-bay Perpendicular chancel screen, Pevsner
type A, restored Herbert Read in 1938. The nave has plain late C19 benches ; a
Jacobean timber drum pulpit, panelled and carved and an 1818 timber eagle lectern.
C15 octagonal font on stem, probably partly recut. Late C19 tower screen with C20
glazing above. The tower has several late C17 memorials used as floor slabs.
Memorials and Stained Glass Wall tablet in the chancel to John Tristram, died 1732,
with a cartouche surround. C19 wall plaques in nave include one signed W. Emes,
Exeter to Elizabeth Penton, died 1829. Window in nave filled with fragments of late
C15 stained glass, restored by Maurice Drake in 1921. 2-light window above chancel
arch by Drake & Sons of Exeter, 1919.
A memorial plaque fixed to the external wall of the tower in memory of the clerk's
son has the unusual inscription : Bless my eyes..../Here he lies/In a sad
Pickle/Killed by Icicle/In the year 1776.
Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project.
Listing NGR: SS9566322241
Other nearby listed buildings