This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.532 / 50°31'55"N
Longitude: -3.5476 / 3°32'51"W
OS Eastings: 290414
OS Northings: 71387
OS Grid: SX904713
Mapcode National: GBR P1.3MD7
Mapcode Global: FRA 37GN.FR8
Plus Code: 9C2RGFJ2+QX
Entry Name: Home House Including Barn Adjoining at South
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307120
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85767
Location: Haccombe with Combe, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Haccombe with Combe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Combeinteignhead All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 90 71
16/104 Home House including barn adjoining
House, divided into 2, and barn adjoining at left (south) end. Late medieval origins
to the house with several phases of alteration including substantial remodelling of
the circa early C17, late C18 and 1950s. Barn probably C18. Colourwashed rendered
cob on stone rubble footings ; thatched roof, half-hipped at right end, hipped to
front of front wing, gabled at left end of barn. Axial stack to right of centre,
rear left lateral stack, stack on left return of front wing ; there may have been a
second rear lateral stack.
Plan: Complex evolution. The present plan is a long single depth range, facing east,
with a deeper room at the right (north) end and a centre front wing giving an
approximate overall T plan. Entrance into front of wing into a passage on to which
the stack of the right hand room backs. C20 stair rises from rear of passage behind
the wing, unheated room to the rear (possibly with original stack dismantled). The
left end of the house, a separate cottage, has been repartitioned but has a large
rear lateral stack. The core of the house is a late medieval open hall house of
jointed cruck construction, probably floored in the C17. The room to the right was
probably remodelled or added at this date as a high quality parlour and re-roofed in
the late C18 (date of 1788 in roofspace) when the front wing was added, reducing the
room behind to a service room. The left end of the house is more difficult to date
but is probably at least C17 in origin. The outbuilding at the left end, now in use
as a cider barn, is probably C18 in origin.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Long asymmetrical 9 window front (including 2 windows to the
wing), the wing and the right end of the house with a higher roofline, the eaves
thatch eyebrowed over the first floor windows to the left of the wing. Front door
with timber lattice porch into wing, door to cottage to left, 2 further doors at
extreme left. C20 2- and 3-light casements with glazing bars except for the ground
floor window of the wing which is a late C18 3-light mullioned window with casements
with square leaded panes. C20 projection to left return of the wing. The barn
adjoining at the left end has a large doorway on the front, 2 1-light windows and a
flight of stone steps to the left. The rear elevation has a 2 storey C20 addition to
rear right, a projecting rear left stack with bread oven projection and a second
projection, possibly a bread oven to a former stack.
Interior: The right hand room has a chamfered crossbeam and chamfered scroll-stopped
half beams, exposed joists scratch-moulded on the hearth side of the centre beam,
chamfered and stopped on the other side of the beam with considerable C20
replacement. The open fireplace with a chamfered lintel, has been reduced in size.
Chamfered half-beams to the room behind the front wing. Late C18 doors with
fielded panels to front and room in wing. The left-hand end of the house is plain
internally and has been repartioned. A re-sited cupboard in a passage left of the
wing has a date of 1670 on the door.
Roof: 2 bays of the medieval roof structure survive over the room behind the front
wing. The roof structure is partly obscured by plaster but consists of a thickly-
sooted face-pegged jointed cruck truss with a threaded ridge, the mortised collar has
been replaced. A hip cruck at the left indicates the end of the medieval open hall.
Pegged roof trusses over the right end are of a late C18 character and a date of 1788
with the initials D.F. is scratched in the plaster in the roofspace. Roofspace over
left end not inspected.
The barn has a good cobbled floor with a drain and probably C18 or early C19 roof
trusses with 1980s repair.
A handsome long thatched range in the village, end on to the road, the house of
Listing NGR: SX9041471387
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings