This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0796 / 53°4'46"N
Longitude: -0.4263 / 0°25'34"W
OS Eastings: 505510
OS Northings: 354754
OS Grid: TF055547
Mapcode National: GBR FPM.T7B
Mapcode Global: WHGJT.FV6H
Plus Code: 9C5X3HHF+RF
Entry Name: Church of St Hybald
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307159
English Heritage Legacy ID: 192539
Location: Ashby De La Launde and Bloxholm, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN4
Civil Parish: Ashby de la Launde and Bloxholm
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Ashby-de-la-Launde St Hibald
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/12/2020
TF 05 SE
ASHBY DE LA LAUNDE AND BLOXHOLM
Church of St Hybald
Parish church. C12, C13, C15, C19. Nave and chancel restored 1854 by Mr Huddleston. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs with ashlar coped gables and kneelers and cross finials. Ashlar quoins. Western tower with spire, nave, north aisle and vestry, chancel, north porch and organ chamber.
Plain unbuttressed west tower, has a deep chamfered plinth and a single lower opening on the west face, this opening has two light reticulated tracery window in a pointed arched chamfered surround with hood mould. The south face has an illegible plaque. The top stage has pairs of pointed arched bell openings, on each face, with roll moulded surrounds, plus some re-used pieces of medieval sculpture buried in the walling. Above a band with corner gargoyles and then battlements. Above again a tall octagonal spire with four small lucarnes.
The three bay north aisle has buttresses with set offs and a corbelled
eaves, with two-light C19 pointed arched windows in deeply chamfered surrounds with hood moulds and different flowing tracery in each window. The north vestry has an ashlar and brick chimney stack, to the east it has a two-light Caevarvon arched window with hood. The chancel east window is three-light with reticulated tracery in a pointed chamfered surround with a hood mould, plus diagonal corner buttresses with set offs. The chancel south wall has a single cusped lancet in a flat headed chamfered surround.
The south organ chamber has a single pointed arched doorway with plank door, and a single Caevarvon arched window to the south, flanked by buttresses. The nave south wall has two two-light geometric tracery windows in pointed chamfered surrounds with a single buttress between. The north gabled porch has a pointed arched opening and stone benches. The double arched, pointed inner doorway has keeled shafts and two rows of dog-tooth in the arch plus a C19 door.
Interior: the three bay north arcade has double chamfered arches and two piers each with four keeled shafts, single shaft responds, and moulded bases and capitals. The triple chamfered tower arch has moulded capitals and an impost band. The double chamfered chancel arch has moulded brattished capitals, and octagonal responds decorated with fleuron. The east chancel wall has a triple arched arcaded window surround with commandment boards in single lancets either side. C15 hexagonal, bowl and stem font with foliate panels. C18 wooden organ. C19 wooden pews, altar rail and reredos, plus C19
wooden roofs, that in the nave single hammer beam with carved angels. Small monument to Edward King and his two wives, with three kneeling figures, dated 1617 on the south side of the chancel. On the north side another C17 niches monument with three kneeling figures. In the nave two large C19 wall tablets to George King 1822 and to John Wm King 1875.
Listing NGR: TF0551054754
Other nearby listed buildings