This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9714 / 52°58'16"N
Longitude: -2.6823 / 2°40'56"W
OS Eastings: 354277
OS Northings: 341776
OS Grid: SJ542417
Mapcode National: GBR 7L.JWGK
Mapcode Global: WH89H.RKXX
Entry Name: White House School
Listing Date: 1 May 1951
Last Amended: 1 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307362
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260601
Location: Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Whitchurch Urban
Built-Up Area: Whitchurch
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Alkmund
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. CLAYPIT STREET (south-east
8/47 No. 33 (White House School)
1.5.51 (Formerly listed as The
- White House)
House, now school. Early C18, remodelled and enlarged in the arly C19.
Red brick, rendered and painted to front. C20 concrete- tile roof with slate
roofs to wings. Centre block of 3 storeys and gable-lit attic with slightly
set-back early C19 two-storey wings. Centre block with moulded plinth,
banded rustication, plat band, panelled end pilaster strips, moulded stone
cornice to centre bay, and boxed gutter. Integral brick end stack to left.
1:1:1 bays with central break; first-floor glazing bar sashes and ground-
floor wooden cross windows, with stone cills and rusticated voussoirs.
Left-hand first-floor window, lower than the rest. Central C20 door with
rectangular overlight. Rendered porch with paired pilaster strips supporting
frieze and triangular pedimented gable. 4 steps up to door. Right-hand
wing with integral brick end stack, first-floor wooden cross window with
painted cill and half-glazed 4-panelled door with rectangular overlight.
Left-hand wing with first-floor segmental-headed tripartite sash. Rear:
centre block with dentil brick eaves cornice and wing with dormer and integral
brick end stack. Wings with toothed-brick eaves cornices. Interior:
single flight staircase of c.1710-20 to left of entrance, with closed string,
balusters consisting of fluted columns on acanthus-wreathed vases, ramped
moulded handrail with curved knees, fluted column-on-vase newel posts with
octagonal bases and caps, and dado rail; landing balustrade returning on 2
sides. Left-hand ground-floor room, rear corridor and landing with moulded
plaster cornices. C18 doors with 6 raised and fielded panels and moulded
Listing NGR: SJ5427741776
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings