This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8961 / 50°53'46"N
Longitude: -2.9414 / 2°56'28"W
OS Eastings: 333892
OS Northings: 111160
OS Grid: ST338111
Mapcode National: GBR M8.RSRP
Mapcode Global: FRA 46QQ.XK7
Plus Code: 9C2VV3W5+CF
Entry Name: Knowle Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307409
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262192
Location: Knowle St. Giles, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20
Civil Parish: Knowle St. Giles
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Chard the Good Shepherd Furnham
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
KNOWLE ST GILES CP KNOWLE LANE (North-west side)
Knowle Manor Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Probably C18. on site of medieval manor, but much modified in C19 and C20. Local stone rubble, some red
brick in Flemish bond and some squared flintwork with Ham stone ashlar dressings; plain clay tile roof over stone slate
base courses. hipped to south-west, with stepped coped gable to north- east with ball finial; brick chimney stacks. Two
storeys with attic, 4 bays. Bay 1 and 2 in brick; with 3-light small-pane casements to all but lower biy 2, which has a
5-light hollow-chamfer mullioned window hith 4-centre-arched liqhts, set under square label. Bay 3 is a gabled
projection in squared flintwark, with ball finial to gable, having plinth and cill courses, and a 2-storey 1+5+1 light
angled bay window, detailed to match lower bay 2, in wave-mould: recesses, with flat roof over: bay 4 has a C20 copy of
the lover bay 2 window, and a 4-light casement above is a brick surround: between bays 1/2 a boarded door under a
concrete lintel and left of bay 4, in the angle, another boarded door set into a stone and tiled lean-to porch. A C20
timber and glass conservatory added to south-west gable. Top of bay 3 gable and the north-east gable rebuilt in brick.
A Cl8 extension to rear, set lower. Interior not seen, but reported to be much altered. Earlier known as Illeigh Farm,
it was in ancient manor whose house was first recorded in 1303. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV 1978, pl59).
Listing NGR: ST3391311200
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings