This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1116 / 51°6'41"N
Longitude: -3.088 / 3°5'16"W
OS Eastings: 323931
OS Northings: 135267
OS Grid: ST239352
Mapcode National: GBR M1.BCGK
Mapcode Global: VH7DN.FBB5
Entry Name: Enmore Castle with Service Court Outbuildings and Undercroft
Listing Date: 9 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307522
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269282
Location: Enmore, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5
Civil Parish: Enmore
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST23NW ENMORE CP CHURCH LANE (North side)
2/23 Nos. 1 and 2 Enmore Castle with
service court outbuildings and
Country house; remaining wing of a larger building, now mostly demolished, undercroft surviving; now divided into 2
dwellings. Ante 1779 for John Perceval, Earl of Egmont; early/mid C19 work by Broadwood family to remaining wing; much
mid C20 internal alteration. Rubble, freestone dressings and quoins, hipped slate roof with wide bracketed eaves, brick
stacks. Formerly a large pseudo-baronial mansion with central courtyard and corner towers, stables and offices in a
large undercroft; about one quarter still survives, though large preparation of undercroft remains. Three storeys with
basement; garden front to No 1 of 1:3:1 bays; each outer bay in a projecting square turret, semi-circular head windows
in bead-moulded surrounds with emphasised imposts and keystones, sash windows with glazing bars and traceried gothick
heads, 4-pane sash windows with square heads in dressed stone surrounds to second floor. Centre 3 bays with 2 similar
gothick sash windows; three 2-light stone- mullioned windows under stepped labels, each light with a semi-circular
head; and 4 pairs of French windows in mullioned and transomed surrounds. Between the wings a 2-storeyed dressed stone
verandah on pillars, each floor with an entablature, first floor with a strapwork parapet. Inset on first floor 2 stone
medallions with carved busts. To right of frontage a loggia in similar style to the verandah connected to a single
storey, single-bay pavilion, gothick sash window. Entrance elevation with sash windows, some paired. Two entrances, one
to each dwelling, both altered mid C20. To rear ground drops away to basement storey, wall with distinct batter,
loopholes in dressed stone surrounds; service court with outbuildings to south. Semi-circular archways; one forming an
entrance, attached brick-vaulted undercroft. Three storey round tower. West side of service court enclosed by wall with
banking to rear which supports an elevated roadway, this covers a brick-vaulted undercroft; undercroft continues to
south and east in several parts forming an extensive labyrinth of underground passages and vaults, mostly brick-lined.
Interiors of dwellings with some gothick features; room to ground floor of No. 2 with a panelled cornice with egg and
dart enrichment, pair of fluted Corinthian columns. Some plaster medallions with carved busts. (Pevsner N., Buildings
of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST2393135267
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings