This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6297 / 52°37'46"N
Longitude: -1.2233 / 1°13'23"W
OS Eastings: 452665
OS Northings: 303833
OS Grid: SK526038
Mapcode National: GBR 8MJ.3K3
Mapcode Global: WHDJH.55QB
Entry Name: The Spinnneys
Listing Date: 15 November 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307546
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188967
Location: Kirby Muxloe, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE9
Civil Parish: Kirby Muxloe
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Kirby Muxloe St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
KIRBY MUXLOE STAMFORD ROAD
SK 50 SW
4/45 The Spinneys
House. Dated A 1898 D EPR AR on pargetting of bay window on left side. For
Edward Percy Rose, dentist. Architect not known but influenced by work of Ernest
Gimson. Red brick with Swithland slate roof. Some ornamental half-timbering
and pargetting. L-plan with altered service wing to right. 2 storeys and attic.
As seen from entrance front, left bay projects with canted corners flanking
massive external chimney stack. Chimney has diamond-shaped sundial and corners
have sash windows to ground floor. Right bay has paired barred wooden casements
with segmental heads. In angle between bays is a canted brick porch projection
with 2-storey half-timbered belvedere above. Half-glazed front door with semi-
circular panelled wooden hood on shaped brackets. Below hood is a plaster
tympanum with relief of trees and inscription "Welcome the coming/speed the
parting quest". Belvedere above has 2 rows of leaded casements, whitewashed
plaster infill between, deep flat eaves and conical copper roof with lead finial.
Left side of house has wide gable to left with leaded venetian window to attic,
2-storey polygonal bay window with flat roof and pargetting between storeys,
and other sashes, those to first floor with wooden cornices. Centre of ground
floor is recessed with door and leaded casement sheltered by bow timber verandah.
Interior has contemporary fireplaces, one with inscription, another with panelled
inglenook. Staircase with arcade to entrance hall. Panelled second floor room
with decorative truss. The Spinneys is one of a series of large houses built
in Kirby Fields, all individually designed, for the professional and wealthy
business classes from c,1880.
Listing NGR: SK5266503833
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings