History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bury

A Grade II* Listed Building in St Paul's Walden, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8811 / 51°52'52"N

Longitude: -0.276 / 0°16'33"W

OS Eastings: 518760

OS Northings: 221689

OS Grid: TL187216

Mapcode National: GBR H6V.317

Mapcode Global: VHGNZ.5ZF9

Plus Code: 9C3XVPJF+FH

Entry Name: The Bury

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Last Amended: 8 February 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307601

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162979

Location: St. Paul's Walden, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Paul's Walden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Paul's Walden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Kimpton

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/05/2020

TL 1821
12/186

ST PAUL'S WALDEN
ST PAUL'S WALDEN BURY
The Bury

(formerly listed as St Paul's Walden Bury House)

9.6.52

GV
II*
Country house. Early C18 (Kelly (1914) 232 says c.1740) for Edward Gilbert (1680-1762) who succeeded in 1724 and rebuilt chancel of Parish Church 1727 when he was described as 'of the Bury'.

North facade, interior of north hall and polygonal flanking wings dated '1767' on two rainwater heads, one on south east with 'MB' for Mary Bowes daughter of Edward Gilbert and widow of George Bowes of Gibside, Durham. (Attributed by Pevsner following Peter Leach, to James Paine the elder (1716-1789) who had designed the mausoleum for George Bowes in 1760-1761 and was engaged on Brocket Hall, Herts c.1760-1770).

Large south range 1887 by Castings for Lord Glamis replacing two-storey service wing. West drawing room 1938 by Louis de Soissons. Red brick with stone dressings and slate roofs. C19 parts have red brick with black brick diaper and steep slate roofs. Original three-storeys, five windows wide square house faces north with pitched roof expressed as front pediment.

Contemporary extensive formal woodland garden extends to north with three main alleys radiating from entrance to house in French manner. Front refaced when symmetrical two-storey polygonal wings added to east and west projecting to north, in 1767. Entrance now with east side of irregular two-storey C19 range running southward with three storeys south cross wing terminated at east by a four-storey tower. North front of tuck-pointed red brick with chamfered stone plinth, painted stone plat-band at first floor level across wings and centre, second floor band across centre at level of painted modillioned eaves cornice of wings. Painted cornice and pediment to centre. Recessed sash windows with flat gauged arches, stone sills and plastered reveals. Second floor of three/three panes, first floor windows in centre cut down in early C19 to give nine/nine panes, ground floor of six/six panes with central half-glazed door in triangular pedimented Ionic door case.

Flanking wings have three/three panes similar sash windows to first floor and six/six to ground floor. The canted projection with reserved sides on the north side of both and on the east side of the left hand wing have a central round arched recess with moulded round arched head to sash window with impost blocks and sill extended across the recess and baluster below the opening. Early C18 flush box sash windows with segmental arches survive on west side of main block beyond the projecting wing.

East front has pedimented entrance porch on Tuscan decorated columns and Bowes-Lyon arms in pediment. Projecting gabled part to right hand with oriel lower window in centre. Half-octagonal bay to left hand. Mullioned and transomed leaded windows with flat gauged arches. Parapeted tower has two-storey balustraded oriel. High garden wall with rusticated piers runs S and then W with Tudor-arched gateway.

Interior of north range has segmental decorated plaster vaulted hall occupying the whole of the centre, with apses each end screened by columns in Adamesque manner, with Music Room at west with moulded dado, cornice, damask hung walls, semi-circular bay to north, and fire surround carved with flutes. More elaborate Drawing Room in north east pavilion has semi-circular bays to north, south and east, elaborate plaster work, and chimneypiece following the concave curve of the south bay with tapering pilasters. Ceilings similar to Paine's work at Brocket Hall.

Listing NGR: TL1876021689

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.