This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8106 / 51°48'38"N
Longitude: 0.0557 / 0°3'20"E
OS Eastings: 541814
OS Northings: 214435
OS Grid: TL418144
Mapcode National: GBR LD1.GWQ
Mapcode Global: VHHLZ.XRBD
Entry Name: Old House
Listing Date: 4 December 1951
Last Amended: 19 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307772
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160004
Location: Hunsdon, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12
Civil Parish: Hunsdon
Built-Up Area: Hunsdon
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hunsdon
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
WIDFORD ROAD (east side)
No 6 (Old House)
(Formerly listed as Ye Olde House)
House. Late medieval (RCHM Typescript), T-plan hall house, with 2 storeys cross wing on right: large central chimney, stair tower and floor inserted in hall in 1681 (date on parlour fireplace lintel): single storey modern additions at rear and each end. Timber-framed and plastered with frame exposed on front (W). Gabled steep old red tile roofs with gabled dormer to hall range on front and back.' Large ornamental chimney at junction of wings made up of conjoined lozenge shaped shafts. Tiled gabled porch. Higher red brick plinth to hall range which has close studding and flush box sash window cut down into the brickwork. The wide gable of the cross wing has close studding with straight tension bracing, remains of a wide first floor window (now altered for a sash window), a collar for the purlin roof, and 2 sash windows to Ground floor above the lower plinth. A large C18 plaster cartouche in the gable has a fountain with an armorial badge at the top. Lobby entrance beside chimney. 2-bay hall on left and 3-bay cross wing on right. Rear bay of wing partitioned on each floor, with a cellar below. Exposed timbers inside with axial chamfered and stopped beams and squared joists. C18 pine corner cupboard in hall with arched top, shaped shelves and raised and fielded panels to doors under. Heavy cambered tie beams in cross wing with close studding in closed truss on 1st floor. Separate pitched roof to stair tower in angle.
Formerly 'Tippings', it became the Wheatsheaf in the later C17 and was then owned by the prominent Quaker family of Wharley. A striking late medieval hall house with a large cross wing and C17 central chimney.
(RCHM (1911) 128: RCHM Typescript: HLHS (1979) 24, 34).
Listing NGR: TL4181414435
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings