History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Oswald

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rand, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.297 / 53°17'49"N

Longitude: -0.3405 / 0°20'25"W

OS Eastings: 510699

OS Northings: 379070

OS Grid: TF106790

Mapcode National: GBR VZ29.2T

Mapcode Global: WHGHW.RD18

Plus Code: 9C5X7MW5+RR

Entry Name: Church of St Oswald

Listing Date: 30 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308352

English Heritage Legacy ID: 197209

Location: Rand, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Rand

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Rand St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


TF 17 NW
(north side)
2/42 Church of
St. Oswald

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, nave rebuilt in c.1820, chancel
mostly rebuilt in 1862 by R. J. Withers. Coursed limestone
rubble, some greenstone and ironstone rubble, some limestone
ashlar, some red brick and some render. Slate roofs with stone
coped gables, single cross finial and a few decorative ridge
tiles. West tower, nave, with north vestry, rectangular chancel.
Mid C14 west tower with plinth, moulded string course and 3 stage
diagonal buttresses up to bell stage. Pointed west doorway with
moulded surround, hood mould and plank doors. Small late C13
pointed window inserted above with Y tracery, hood mould and
single mid C12 long snouted dragon head label stop. Weathered
head immediately above. Small rectangular opening in south side
just below moulded string course defining bell stage. Bell
openings on all 4 sides, those on west, east and south side with
pointed opening containing richly cusped ogee arch and
quatrefoil above. Heads above west and south bell openings. C19
north bell opening with round head and 2 round headed lights.
Moulded eaves above with projecting corner gargoyles. Tall
battlements above. North side of nave with 2 rectangular windows
each of 3 round headed cusped lights, divided by 2 stage
buttress. C19 north vestry with plinth, west doorway with 4
centred head with partially glazed door. East window of 2 cusped
pointed lights. Chancel with broad brick buttressing on north
side. East end with plinth, 2 stage diagonal buttresses and
pointed window of 3 cusped lights with intersecting tracery.
Early C14 hood mould and label stops. South side of chancel with
plinth, C19 pointed window of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil,
hood mould and label stop heads. Blocked late C14 window to west
with triangular head, 2 cusped lights with diamond above, hood
mould and single label stop to west. Nave with brick plinth, 3
rectangular windows, each with 3 round headed cusped lights and
hood moulds. Pointed, double chamfered tower arch of c1820 with
moulded jambs. Early C13 chancel arch heavily restored in C19,
with pointed, double chamfered head, inner order supported on
polygonal responds with moulded abaci. Small early C13 capital
to south west. Chancel with moulded C19 organ arch with shallow
pointed head and chamfered jambs. Pointed C19 vestry doorway
beyond with continuous moulded surround and plank door. Chancel
north wall with late C13 tomb set in C19 tomb recess with ball
flower decoration. Recumbent female effigy with angels
supporting pillow, hands in prayer, shield lying on her middle,
dog at feet, re-cut face and rich drapery. C19 timber roofs with
ornate corbels and bosses. South side of chancel with 2 pointed
C19 sedilia with cusping and large central dove. Monuments in
nave include early C13, richly coped Purbeck marble coffin lid.
Early C17 ashlar monument to Sir Vincent Fulnetby and wives,
c.1593, with tall finials and numerous shields. Pink, white and
grey veined marble monument to Sir Sapcote Harington, died 1630,
with wife, both in prayer under round headed arches with 3
daughters and 2 sons in prayer set beneath with winged skull and
laurel wreath. White marble monument to Dorothy Leigh, died 1613
with woman in ruff kneeling at prieu dieu. Brasses re-set on
ashlar in 1890, of William Mettram of Bolington, died 1590, with
standing woman in embroidered dress to right, fragment of praying
woman on left with a knight's armoured legs below. Coats of arms
in between. White marble monument to Anna Matham died 1602, with
Death with sickle and hour glass, woman kneeling in ruff with 3
sons and 2 daughters in front of her, and 3 daughters behind.
Grey marble monument to Charles and Elizabeth Metham, 1628, with
man and woman kneeling opposite each other, wearing ruffs. Font
with quatrefoiled panels of 1902. C20 altar rail, pews and

Listing NGR: TF1069979070

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.