This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9668 / 50°58'0"N
Longitude: -4.3833 / 4°22'59"W
OS Eastings: 232746
OS Northings: 121297
OS Grid: SS327212
Mapcode National: GBR K9.MFD3
Mapcode Global: FRA 16QK.652
Entry Name: Hammetts
Listing Date: 19 June 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308730
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91289
Location: Woolfardisworthy, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Woolfardisworthy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Woolfardisworthy West All Hallows
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
WOOLFARDISWORTHY WEST TOWN
SS 32 SW
House formerly farmhouse. Circa late C15 altered probably in 1653 and modernised in
late C20. Rendered stone rubble walls, possibly incorporating some cob. Gable-ended
asbestos slate roof. Brick stack at left gable-end. Large C17 coursed squared
rubble axial stack with dripmoulds and tapering cap.
Plan: originally probably 2-room-and-through-passage plan, lower end to the left.
Built as an open hall house with central hearth, divided only by low partitions.
The house appears to have remained open to the roof until 1653 - a date in the
plasterwork of the hall - when it was floored and a stack inserted into the hall
backing onto the passage. A high quality chamber was created above it. The lower
room fireplace is probably coeval although since altered. Evidently the lower room
had a more functional purpose than the hall which became more of a hall/parlour. At
the rear of the hall is a winder staircase in a projection and adjoining integral
dairy at its higher end which are both part of the 1653 remodelling. In the later
C20 the hall was subdivided and a passage created to its rear, a detached shippon
adjoining the lower room was converted and a small linking range built.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window front of late C20 2-light small-paned
casments apart from a small earlier C20 leaded-light casement at centre on 1st
floor. The 2 ground floor windows to the right have C17 stone hoodmoulds over them.
To left of centre is probably original chamfered stone doorway with segmental arch
and diagonal stops. C20 plank door with glazed panel. At left-hand end is short
connecting range with converted shippon projecting from end of it. At rear left-
hand part of house projects for staircase with a further projection for dairy at
Interior: lower room has chamfered and unstopped cross beam. Replaced lintel to
open fireplace which has cloam oven in side. Room to right of passage, formerly
hall, has fireplace with ovolo-moulded and ogee-stopped lintel. On the end wall of
the room beyond is a moulded plaster cornice with the date 1653 and initials PPIH.
At the centre is a small plaster shield and to either side are plaster fleurnus.
Stone winder stairs in projection at rear around solid core. There is only a thin
partition between stairs and adjoining dairy. 1st floor fireplace over hall also
has ovolo-moulded wooden lintel with fillet and ogee stops. In the roof-space there
is evidence that there was formerly a plaster barrel ceiling over the 1st floor
chamber at the higher end.
Roof: one original roof truss survives just to the higher side of the hall stack
apparently with curved feet which are now boxed in. The truss is of heavy scantling
with mortices for a removed collar and a small yoke at the apex which the principals
extend slightly above to clasp the ridge. A little below a C17 collar has been
halved on with dovetail joints and there is a similar collar lower down. The
original timbers are smoke-blackened; 1 other truss at the higher end has a lapped
crossed apex and is probably later C17. C20 trusses over the lower end and rafters
This house preserves some good quality C17 features and an interesting development
of plan whilst also retaining evidence of its earlier origins.
Listing NGR: SS3274621297
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings