History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hatfield Peverel, Essex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.769 / 51°46'8"N

Longitude: 0.603 / 0°36'10"E

OS Eastings: 579701

OS Northings: 211017

OS Grid: TL797110

Mapcode National: GBR QLN.37Y

Mapcode Global: VHJJY.DSMR

Plus Code: 9F32QJ93+H5

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308736

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115398

Location: Hatfield Peverel, Braintree, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Hatfield Peverel

Built-Up Area: Hatfield Peverel

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Hatfield Peverel St Andrew with Ulting All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in


(south side)

12/57 Parish Church of St.


Parish church. C12, altered in C13 and C15, much restored in C19. Flint and
pebble rubble with limestone and clunch dressings and some brickwork, roofs
tiled. Formerly part of a Benedictine Priory of St. Albans Abbey, dissolved in
1536. The former Nave became the present Nave and Chancel, with a fragment of
the former central tower to the E, both early C12. N aisle added in late C13,
rebuilt in C15. S vestry late C16. S aisle c.1820. Major restoration in C19,
almost all external surfaces renewed. The former central tower has been
destroyed except for the W arch, blocked by a C19 window; it is C12, semi-
circular and plain. Adjoining it on the N and S are buttresses representing the
W responds of the former N and S arches. The Nave and Chancel are structurally
undivided. In the N wall is an arcade of 5 bays with 2-centred arches of 2
chamfered orders, and octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases. The
orders of the easternmost arch are continued down the E respond; the W respond
has an attached semi-octagonal shaft with moulded capital and base, and medieval
and C16 graffiti. The 3 easternmost arches are C13, the other 2 with pier and
respond C15. Above the E pier is a single round-headed light of c.1100. The
second pier has a groove cut in the SW face for a former parochial rood-screen,
and the wall above had a doorway at loft level, now blocked but retaining a
plain oak frame on the N side. In the S wall is a C19 doorway and arcade of 5
bays; W of the arcade is a high C13 lancet window, restored externally. In the
W wall is a C12 doorway, much restored, of 2 orders - the inner plain, the outer
with chevron ornament; the jambs each have a round shaft with scalloped capital
and moulded abacus continued round the inner order as an impost. The C19 W
doors incorporate panels with 4 shields cut away at top, c.1500. The W window
is C19. The roof was rebuilt in 1983, except the 2 E bays. The E tiebeam is
straight, moulded and crenellated, with a hole in the middle for a hanging lamp.
The second tiebeam is cambered and moulded, with wall pieces and moulded braces
of 4-centred curvature, moulded principal rafters and collar, and moulded braces
forming a continuous curve, late C15/early C16. The Vicar reports that roof
structure of c.1300 survives in the E bay, boarded to the soffit in 7 cants.
The N aisle has on the N wall an early C16 crenellated parapet of brick. In the
wall are 5 windows; the easternmost is of 2 trefoiled ogee lights with a trefoil
in a 2-centred head with a moulded label, early C14; the second window is C19
except for the C16 brick head and Cl4 fragments; the third window is C19 except
for the C15 jambs, splays and 2-centred rear-arch; the fourth window is of 2
cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a 2-centred head, C15; the westernmost
window is C19. Between the third and fourth windows is a semi-octagonal
rood-stair turret entered by a late Cl5/early C16 doorway with a 4-centred
head; the crenellated coping of the turret is of C16 brick, repaired, and has an
isolated, tabled buttress rising from the middle. Between the 2 westernmost
windows is the early C15 N doorway with jambs and 2-centred arch of 2
wave-moulded orders, and a moulded label. The 2-fold doors have heavy
portcullis frames with V-notched joints, and renewed planking. In the W wall is
a C13 lancet window, restored externally. The S vestry is of brick, of 2
storeys. The S wall has on the ground floor a late C16 window of 3 lights with
ovolo-moulded jambs, restored mullions, and square head, all of brick, and on
the first floor 2 similar windows, of 3 and one lights. The E wall has a
blocked doorway and on the first floor a similar window of 2 lights. Fittings.
In the Chancel there are 4 brasses. (1) 2 shields and the indent of an
inscription plate, C15, (2) to an unnamed lady, descendant of the Bohuns,
c.157O, inscription only, (3) ofJohn Allen, 1572, kneeling figure of a man in
civilian dress and lady with children, indents of 2 other wives, scroll, plate
and 2 shields, (4) to Martha (Glascocke), wife of Edmund Aleyn, 1593. There are
floor-slabs in the Chancel (1) to Martha (Aleyn), wife of Joshua Blower, vicar,
1639, and in the N aisle, (2) to John Godbold, 166-, (3) to Daniel Coys, with
achievement of arms, (4) to Daniell Coys, 1673, with achievement of arms, (5) to
John Sharp, 1727. Other C18 floor-slabs were partly covered at the time of
survey, January 1985. In the Chancel against the N wall there is an altar-tomb
of marble with moulded slab, 4 cinquefoiled and 3 square traceried panels on the
S side, with 3 shields with rivets for former brasses, a cinquefoiled panel at
each end, and a moulded plinth, early C16. In the N aisle, on the sill of the
second window from the E, there is the recumbent effigy of a man in plain gown
with hood, head on cushion supported by angels, feet on lion, late C13,
mutilated. A screen in the E bay of the N arcade, not in situ, has a moulded
cornice, doorway and 4 open bays all with trefoiled, sub-cusped and traceried
heads and close lower panels, mid-C15, restored. In the Chancel there are 3
bench ends with carved and traceried panels and poppies, carved with foliage and
human heads including a king, a queen, 2 bearded heads and 2 female heads, late
C14, made up with modern benches. Immediately E of the N doorway there is a
stoup with septfoiled head and broken basin, C15. In the windows of the N and S
aisles there is glass, not in situ, collected by John Wright in the C18, mostly
English of the C16, and Flemish of the C16 and C17, including the royal arms of
Elizabeth. There is a niche of uncertain date in the N wall of the Nave, above
the third pier, with flat arched head, retaining traces of red paint, and a C15
niche in the E splay of the easternmost window of the N aisle, with circular
head. Paintings recorded by the RCHM have largely disappeared. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL7970111017

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.