History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Priory Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Hatfield Peverel, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7702 / 51°46'12"N

Longitude: 0.6039 / 0°36'14"E

OS Eastings: 579761

OS Northings: 211159

OS Grid: TL797111

Mapcode National: GBR QLG.X3P

Mapcode Global: VHJJY.FR4T

Plus Code: 9F32QJC3+3H

Entry Name: Priory Lodge

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337807

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115399

Location: Hatfield Peverel, Braintree, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Hatfield Peverel

Built-Up Area: Hatfield Peverel

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Hatfield Peverel St Andrew with Ulting All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in


(south side)

12/58 Nos. 1 and 2, Priory


House, now extended and divided to form 2 houses. C14/C15, altered in C19 and
C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3-bay main
range facing W and 2-bay crosswing to left, with internal stack at the junction.
C18/C19 stack in right return wall. C19 extension to left, with axial stack,
and extending to rear, forming an L-plan. Late C19/early C20 Gothic Revival
gabled porch to left, and C20 single-storey lean-to extensions to rear of it and
to rear of main range. 2 storeys. 4-window range of C20 casements, diamond
leaded in no. 1. C19 door with 2 Gothic Revival lights in C20 gabled porch (no.
2). Door to no. 1 in left return with 2 Gothic Revival 2-centred lights in side
porch. Hipped roof of low pitch. Externally of misleading appearance, the most
visible original features are in the crosswing, forming the right side of no. 2,
which has jowled posts, close studding with curved tension bracing trenched to
the outside, a chamfered binding beam with plain joists of horizontal section
jointed to it with central tenons, a steeply cranked and chamfered tiebeam with
plain stops, and a shutter groove for an unglazed window at the rear. The roof
was formerly of crownpost construction, hipped at the rear, but wholly rebuilt
in the early C19. Minor charring of this roof, and other alterations, date from
a fire in 1916 (Our Village, Hatfield Peverel W.E.A., 1951, 14). The interior
is exposed to right of the main stack. This house was the Vicarage until the
present vicarage east of the Church was constructed. RCHM 15.

Listing NGR: TL7976111159

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.