This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6233 / 50°37'23"N
Longitude: -3.7556 / 3°45'20"W
OS Eastings: 275913
OS Northings: 81865
OS Grid: SX759818
Mapcode National: GBR QH.V0Y6
Mapcode Global: FRA 370F.BP8
Entry Name: Foxworthy Mill House and Mill
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Last Amended: 3 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309098
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84595
Location: Lustleigh, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Lustleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lustleigh
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 78 SE
1/152 Foxworthy Mill House and Mill
- (formerly listed as Foxworthy Mill
23.8.65 and Cottage)
House, formerly Mill House and Corn Mill. House late C17 or early C18 with later
additions; mill rebuilt early C20. Stone rubble. Corrugated iron roof, formerly
thatched. Stone chimneystack on each gable. The west stack is original with
thatch weatherings and projecting stone-course forming a cap. The east stack,
though it too has thatch weatherings, is later because it replaces a former hip,
the timbers of which are still visible in the roof-space. House has a 2-room plan
with gable fireplace in the larger west room; to north of fireplace is a rounded
stair turret. Abutting the house on the west is the mill building, now in the form
of a cross-wing but replacing a much more modest structure. 2 storeys, with added
single-storey lean-to. South front has wooden casement windows; north front is
largely taken up with the stair turret and lean-to. On west side of the mill is
the iron breast-shot water wheel, 12 feet in diameter. Moulded on it is the date
1892 and the name of the maker, C J Reed of Chagford.
Interior: larger room has chamfered upper-floor beam with run-out stops; most of
the joists have been renewed, but a few vaguely chamfered original joists remain.
Large fireplace has granite jambs and plain wood lintel; oven in the back. Stair
now has wooden treads, but 2 granite steps are said to survive underneath. Roof
has plain trusses with collars pegged to the face of the principals by one peg and
one old nail at each end.
Source: picture postcard of the mill, posted in 1907 but probably late C19. In
possession of the owner.
Listing NGR: SX7591381865
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings