History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Orchard Barton

A Grade II Listed Building in Thrushelton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6814 / 50°40'53"N

Longitude: -4.1692 / 4°10'9"W

OS Eastings: 246847

OS Northings: 89108

OS Grid: SX468891

Mapcode National: GBR NV.6GXM

Mapcode Global: FRA 2748.RK4

Entry Name: Orchard Barton

Listing Date: 14 June 1952

Last Amended: 7 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309157

English Heritage Legacy ID: 92572

Location: Thrushelton, West Devon, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Thrushelton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Thrushelton

Listing Text

SX 48 NE THRUSHELTON

4/329 Orchard Barton
- (formerly listed as Orchard Farmhouse)
14.6.52
II


Farmhouse. C17 with late C19 alterations. Stone rubble with slate roofs, the roof
of the main block asbestos slates. 2 large lateral stone stacks to the rear, 1
rendered lateral stack and 1 C20 brick shaft to the right crosswing. The original
plan appears to have been a main block, 2-rooms wide, possibly with a through
passage, and left and right crosswings forming an H-plan. The land slopes sharply
away to the left and the left-hand crosswing has a ground floor level below that of
the main block. Substantial alterations in the late C19 by Sabine Baring-Gould who
removed many of the C17 features to Lew House, Lew Trenchard, now the Manor Hotel
(qv). The granite mullions of the windows were removed and the original stair was
probably also replaced at this date with a steep stair in the central passage of the
main block. In the C20 the left-hand crosswing, known as the servants' wing, was
adapted for use as a calfhouse. 2 storeys. 3:1 window front, the main block hipped
at the left end and approximately symmetrical, the crosswings hipped at ends. The
left-hand crosswing is single-storey to the front elevation, and has a C20 entrance
to the front. The main block has a wide central front door with studs and a
rectangular fanlight. The first floor window above the front door is a C20 2-light
casement with glazing bars under a flat stone arch. Other windows to the main block
are 4-light C20 casements with glazing bars under flat stone arches. The right-hand
crosswing has 1 ground floor C20 casement to the front. Numerous blocked windows to
the rear and the left return of the left-hand crosswing.
Interior Of the C17 build part of a plaster frieze and moulded cornice survive in
the ground floor left and the left-hand crosswing. The ground floor of the crosswing
retains a large C17 fireplace with hollow-chamfered granite jambs and a chamfered
stopped lintel. A fireplace in the main block has re-used hollow-chamfered jambs
originally sited in the left-hand crosswing. The roof trusses are collar rafter with
tie beams and are pegged, those in the right-hand crosswing are numbered. Traces of
a moulded cornice are visible in the roof space.
Sabine Baring-Gould owned Orchard in the C19 and most of the missing features of the
house have probably been incorporated at Lew House. A photograph of Orchard Barton
in the late C19 in the possession of the owner shows the granite mullioned windows
intact.


Listing NGR: SX4684789108

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.